RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio Antennas

Amateur Radio Antennas - For discussion of all amateur band designed antennas and related accoutrements. This includes base, handheld, mobile and repeater usage. For commercial antennas on the amateur bands please use Commercial Radio Antennas below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2017, 10:26 PM
Lead Wiki Manager
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtp View Post
it says "no user serviceable parts inside".
They just say that to make you go back to the dealer for service. It's a money-making deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brts96 View Post
The mufflers on my vehicles have muffler capacitors. They might need to be changed, soon, though.
Would those be the orange drop, black beauty, or bumblebee muffler capacitors? They affect the tone, you know.

How Bumblebee, Orange Drop and Black Beauty capacitors helped define classic Gibson tone.

"The whole world's living in a digital dream. It's not really there, it's all on the screen." -- WB6ACU
Sponsored links
Old 06-04-2017, 10:32 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I'm not sure, I never looked. There was a label that told me there were no user serviceable parts inside, so I took it to the shop.

From the noise it made, I think they were bumblebee exhaust capacitors. Can't be for certain, though.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:37 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9BU View Post
They just say that to make you go back to the dealer for service. It's a money-making deal.

Would those be the orange drop, black beauty, or bumblebee muffler capacitors? They affect the tone, you know.
If I have to replace them, I'm going for the orange. As an Auburn alumni with orange & blue colors, I have no choice. The bumblebee is a Ga. Tech thing so that's out. Black Beauty is a horse. I simply don't have the room for that (not to mention the clean-up).
Old 06-04-2017, 10:42 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If I have to take the muffler apart, I hope I'm not baffled by what's inside.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4JUG View Post
If I have to replace them, I'm going for the orange. As an Auburn alumni with orange & blue colors, I have no choice. The bumblebee is a Ga. Tech thing so that's out. Black Beauty is a horse. I simply don't have the room for that (not to mention the clean-up).
See that's what's wrong in this world I thought "black beauty" was the under takers daughter. So much to learn so little time ,anybody got a programming cable for this life ? I need a good brain dump, out with the old freaks in the with new freque's.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Sponsored links
Old 06-05-2017, 11:59 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Smile

I actually had some fun RF-burning a dragonfly on the tip of an antenna a number of years ago. My car had a 2m/440 dual band antenna on the roof. The car was parked one day and I found an adult dragonfly perched on the tip of the antenna. I tried to shoo it away short of swatting it and it wouldn't leave. So I briefly keyed my mobile radio on a 2m simplex channel at 50W. The dragonfly flew away as soon as I keyed up, only to return a few seconds later after un-keying the transmitter. I keyed up again and it left again like it did before, only to return AGAIN! After keying my mobile for the THIRD time, it finally left for good. Apparently it didn't like getting burned by RF.
GMRS [ZA] = KAE9013 (12/1992)
Old 06-05-2017, 4:16 PM
Lead Wiki Manager
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1das View Post
Apparently it didn't like getting burned by RF.
How do you know that that dragonfly didn't go reproduce and spread genes that were deranged by your RF? There might be a whole strain of mutant dragonflies out there for which you are responsible.

"The whole world's living in a digital dream. It's not really there, it's all on the screen." -- WB6ACU
Old 06-05-2017, 5:27 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
How do you know that that dragonfly didn't go reproduce and spread genes that were deranged by your RF? There might be a whole strain of mutant dragonflies out there for which you are responsible.

LOL, I think we'll know when Mothra someday attacks us all and we need to summon Godzilla to defeat Mothra and save the world.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
GMRS [ZA] = KAE9013 (12/1992)
Old 06-05-2017, 6:42 PM

Quote:
No, but if you have any antenna wax left over, you may be able to use it to grease the muffler bearings.
Don't forget to check your blinker fluid!
Old 06-05-2017, 6:55 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_E View Post
Don't forget to check your blinker fluid!
I refilled that already. For some reason, the auto parts place only had 6 volt fluid. I had to fill it twice. (At least I think it was the blinker fluid I refilled. The dipstick said "trans" but I didn't pay any attention.)