Bugs and antennae

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
In the grand scheme of things, this subject doesn't rank very high but I'll put it out there anyway.

I recently returned from a 2,000 mile trip that was almost entirely on high-speed, limited-access roads. In course of that trip, I acquired a thick coating of bugs on my antenna. For aesthetic reasons, I've cleaned them off but does that the efficiency of the antenna?

jim202

In the grand scheme of things, this subject doesn't rank very high but I'll put it out there anyway.

I recently returned from a 2,000 mile trip that was almost entirely on high-speed, limited-access roads. In course of that trip, I acquired a thick coating of bugs on my antenna. For aesthetic reasons, I've cleaned them off but does that the efficiency of the antenna?

I like these questions that want an answer to the question, but seem to think the answer doesn't need any details or just what your using.

My answer is the more bugs you collect, the more efficient it will be to collect more bugs. The faster you drive, the faster you will collect more bugs. Hope this answers your question.

wrath

Well as long as the antennae is a Texas bug catcher you should be good to go ! Congratulations and your accumulation , you level up again at 7000 miles.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I like these questions that want an answer to the question, but seem to think the answer doesn't need any details or just what your using.

My answer is the more bugs you collect, the more efficient it will be to collect more bugs. The faster you drive, the faster you will collect more bugs. Hope this answers your question.

So, if my aim was to collect bugs, I shouldn't have cleaned them off? I'm assuming the bigger the antenna, the more surface area to accumulate the critters. Makes sense.

That begs the question: What's the cut-off point before destroying the antenna and should I get a higher wattage radio to burn them off?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Depending on the surface coating of the antenna, leaving the bugs on the antenna can be detrimental. Bug juice can be corrosive.

Rred

Bugs contain moisture, moisture absorbs radio waves, while the bugs are drying out I'm sure someplace like Sandia National Labs could actually measure the signal strength reduction caused by the bugs. Possibly a slight WSR increase as well.

This is why you are supposed to use antenna wax, so the bugs can't stick to the antenna.

AK9R

Super Moderator
This is why you are supposed to use antenna wax, so the bugs can't stick to the antenna.
Do you recommend the traditional Carnauba antenna wax or will the newer synthetic wax work just as well?

Oh, wait, maybe beeswax is the best choice.

DJ11DLN

Do you recommend the traditional Carnauba antenna wax or will the newer synthetic wax work just as well?

Only if it's impregnated with DEET. Keep them from splashing in the first place.:D

wtp

well

since some folks recommend insulated wire to transmit, in case someone comes in contact with it.
i would go with bugs don't matter much at all.
if they build up to the point where the car might be top heavy and flip over on turns, it is time to clean it off.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
since some folks recommend insulated wire to transmit, in case someone comes in contact with it.
i would go with bugs don't matter much at all.
if they build up to the point where the car might be top heavy and flip over on turns, it is time to clean it off.

It is an SUV so I'll have to be careful.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber

Would this be stored in a hangar next to the Propwash? :lol:

AK9R

Super Moderator
Would this be stored in a hangar next to the Propwash?
No, but if you have any antenna wax left over, you may be able to use it to grease the muffler bearings.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
No, but if you have any antenna wax left over, you may be able to use it to grease the muffler bearings.

I looked for those the other day. I couldn't find them. I guess they're sealed inside. If they go bad, I'll probably have to change the entire muffler.

Brts96

Premium Subscriber
You guys are still using mufflers that take mechanical bearings? Everything is all electronic these days.

The mufflers on my vehicles have muffler capacitors. They might need to be changed, soon, though.

I heard they eliminated muffler bearings years ago, but that's none of my beeswax.

Status
Not open for further replies.