Can someone tell me what I have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManUtdWY

I am new to amateur radio, and apparently have a roof mount antenna on my old plow truck. The coax appears to be in good shape and fairly stout, but the connection appears to be damaged. I was hoping to replace the connection and put it to use but I have no idea what this is and where to look for a replacement and what I will need to connect a mobile radio. I would just Google it myself and save your time, but I don't know what to search for. Can anyone out there point me in the right direction?

Attachments

• IMG_0538.jpg
    IMG_0538.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 317

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator
I have a feeling this isn't actually related to amateur radio, so it may get moved once we have more information.

ManUtdWY

Thanks, you may very well be right. I assumed so with the coax coming into it, but that's why I thought I would check here first.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Is that thing actually fastened to the dash?

What radio do you have? It might be better (and neater) just to trash that bracket and run the coax directly from the radio to the existing roof mount antenna.

brcommo

The photograph is actually either a hand throttle cable, a choke cable , or a control cable for some other mechanical unit. It isn't a coax connector.

ManUtdWY

Is that thing actually fastened to the dash?

What radio do you have? It might be better (and neater) just to trash that bracket and run the coax directly from the radio to the existing roof mount antenna.

I wondered about trashing the bracket, but splicing a new adapter into the coax frightened me a little. Besides, that metal protective housing and mount was stout and I was hoping to keep it in place as a protection.

I don't presently have a radio, the guy I bought the truck from pulled out whatever he had in there, that's why I was hoping to find out what I had so I could match it up. I'll end up doing just that, thought I would at least give you all a try since I'm still so new to the equipment.

Thanks

ManUtdWY

Haha, I know, right? It is a used truck, maybe one of those surprises is to find out that my Sierra 2500 has a PTO!

ManUtdWY

Beat me to it! Looks like a hand throttle cable minus the knob. I do not think that the "co-ax" attached to that is going to work very well!:lol:
And...I've just demonstrated how truly ignorant I am on the subject at this point. Thanks for the help everyone!

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Yes, it sure looks like a control cable for some mechanical device and sure doesn't look like an RF coax cable.

That bracket would be a real knee buster in an accident.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If you took a photo of the antenna mount on the cab and posted that, we could probably start the process.

But, as stated, that isn't coax. Your coax is somewhere else.
Since antenna mounts are cheap, and yours would likely be in question, it's always a good idea to replace it.

DJ11DLN

And...I've just demonstrated how truly ignorant I am on the subject at this point. Thanks for the help everyone!
Welcome to the human race. The only stupid question is one that nobody asks.

Take MMckenna's advice, get some pictures of the actual mount and post back.

And see if the cable goes to the throttle, or to a PTO on the transmission. I'm guessing the former just from the way it looks but could be the latter. You may find a use for it and want to repair it. Knobs coming off is pretty common when the operator is a little too "vigorous" with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.