RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio Antennas

Amateur Radio Antennas - For discussion of all amateur band designed antennas and related accoutrements. This includes base, handheld, mobile and repeater usage. For commercial antennas on the amateur bands please use Commercial Radio Antennas below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2017, 8:04 AM

Default New guy needs a little help

Looking for some advice on a mobile antenna setup. Iím looking for a setup that would allow me to participate in the local drive time rag chew on 2m/70cm and provide for some reach when taking a road trip. I read through other threads here and some suggest drilling holes and installing an NMO mount. Which I understand and have no problem with. Hereís my problem; I park in a parking deck everyday. I only have inches of clearance from the top of my full-size SUV. I thought about a motorized mount attached to my roof rack, but there are few on the market and running the cable through a door jam did not sound like a good long term solution. Maybe a bumper or under the bumper mount with an antenna that extend a few inches above the top of the vehicle? Again, I would have to figure out how to run the coax. Maybe the Larsen glass mount? I understand the results of the Larsen will be mixed but it may be the best option. I also thought about two antennas, one for local use (maybe the glass mount) and another much better taller mag mount I put on for road trips. Any thoughts?
Sponsored links
Old 06-29-2017, 10:40 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Sounds like a dual band that is 1/2 wave at VHF, mounted on am "L" bracket in the hood gap is your best option. That design is usually 5/8 over 5/8 on UHF, so lots of gain. Larsen NMO 2/70 is about the toughest out there.

Diamond NR770 would work, and Comet makes something similar.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:55 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I've been using an NMO 2/70 for almost 20 years. Works great ...
Old 06-29-2017, 1:45 PM

Thank you for the ideas! The NMO 2/70 looks great and I'll probably pick one up. I've also thought about a lip mount like this one to be attached vertical on the rear hatch -Diamond Antenna K400 Series Trunk and Hatchback Mounts. If the cable is thin I may be able to route it without causing too much wear and tear.