Yaesu: FT-891 with FC-50 Antenna Tuner

Status
Not open for further replies.

g8shot1

I have my general license and haven't really talked on the air. I kind of fell into some HF equipment. I have a Yaesu FT-891 and a Yaesu FC-50 antenna tuner. I intend to use these both as a base and mobile system.

I'm looking for recommendations or validation of a base antenna. I have plenty of trees around my house and was thinking the EFHW-8010 from MyAntennas.com.

Would this be a good start to getting me on the air?

prcguy

I've used lots of wire antennas in my time and have settled on the Myantennas EFHW-8010 as my primary HF home antenna. After doing lots of research, the type of balun used on this antenna appears to be the best suited for an OCFD and in my installation no tuner is needed on 40 through 10m.
prcguy

I have my general license and haven't really talked on the air. I kind of fell into some HF equipment. I have a Yaesu FT-891 and a Yaesu FC-50 antenna tuner. I intend to use these both as a base and mobile system.

I'm looking for recommendations or validation of a base antenna. I have plenty of trees around my house and was thinking the EFHW-8010 from MyAntennas.com.

Would this be a good start to getting me on the air?

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
My suggestion is to buy an ARRL Antenna Handbook and learn some antenna theory. You can't (easily) build a transceiver these days, but you sure can build your own antennas. Save some money and learn some radio theory. Also, buy a reasonable SWR meter or an antenna analyzer. My very first HF antenna was a ten meter dipole. I talked to Argentina on my first contact with 12 watts PEP. I also built a six meter extended double Zepp and made many SSB contacts on 6 meters. You should be able to do all this without the tuner. They are nice to have, but not necessary. Remember it does not tune the antenna. It matches the transmitter to the antenna. There can (not always) be losses.

g8shot1

Thanks

My suggestion is to buy an ARRL Antenna Handbook and learn some antenna theory. You can't (easily) build a transceiver these days, but you sure can build your own antennas. Save some money and learn some radio theory. Also, buy a reasonable SWR meter or an antenna analyzer. My very first HF antenna was a ten meter dipole. I talked to Argentina on my first contact with 12 watts PEP. I also built a six meter extended double Zepp and made many SSB contacts on 6 meters. You should be able to do all this without the tuner. They are nice to have, but not necessary. Remember it does not tune the antenna. It matches the transmitter to the antenna. There can (not always) be losses.

Appreciate the responses. I will get the operating manual and antenna book from ARRL. I did build an antenna for my HT (kenwood TH-F6A) and use it on a camera tripod to follow some sats. After I get the manuals I'll see about building a "mobile" (out of the car) antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.