144/220/440 tri-band antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,
I'm considering buying a Baofeng UV-5X3 for its 220 capability, but one of the possible problems I have run into is the lack of a tri-band antenna that comes with the radio.
At this point, I've discovered what seems to be my four main choices. (If there are other choices that anyone else know of your help would be greatly appreciated)
a.) Nagoya NA-320A-from what I've read its a great antenna but its extremely long. I'm probably going to be carrying the radio around very frequently with the tri-band antenna! However, the price does seem to be a great deal.
b.) Anytone AT-3318UV-E stock antenna-I'm especially interested in this antenna, but so far I've only managed to find one review of it. If anyone has this antenna I'd love to hear how it performs.
c.) Comet Ht-224-Seems to be fairly short. Obviously, I'd need and sma adapter because it's not built for a Baofeng.
d.)Diamond SRH320A-Like the Comet I'd need an sma adapter. However, it seems to get nothing but excellent reviews.

I'd be happy to hear what owners of any of these antennas think of them, and I'm also open to other suggestions.
Thanks!

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I have used the Diamond SRH320A for years with different triband radios. It is one of the few HT antennas that I have used that has a low SWR in all three bands. Diamond makes an adaptor that will enable the antenna to be attached to you radio. Triband antennas are rare because the 220 band is not used In most parts of the world. I tried the Comet and it ended up breaking not long after I bought it. Performance on 440 was also bad.

Alain

One Antenna That's Not been Mentioned...

Hello all,
I'm considering buying a Baofeng UV-5X3 for its 220 capability, but one of the possible problems I have run into is the lack of a tri-band antenna that comes with the radio.

I have one of Ed Fong's Antennas...the TBJ-1. I use it for mobile ECOMM and it works well for the mountains where I live.

Ed's tri-bander is a 1/2 wave and rated at 75 watts.

Price is quite reasonable and comparable to those you've listed.

Here's the link: About - Ed's Antennas

HTH

P.S. The antenna can be ordered with either an SO-239 or an "N" connector. I chose the latter...

Last edited:
I have used the Diamond SRH320A for years with different triband radios. It is one of the few HT antennas that I have used that has a low SWR in all three bands. Diamond makes an adaptor that will enable the antenna to be attached to you radio. Triband antennas are rare because the 220 band is not used In most parts of the world. I tried the Comet and it ended up breaking not long after I bought it. Performance on 440 was also bad.
You've confirmed what the many reviews that I've read about the Comet have said. It seems to break easily and performance is questionable. Meanwhile, having low SWR in those three bands is rarity! However, I have one concern about the connector needed for the Diamond. I've read that these connectors not only add to the physcial length of the antenna, but also add torque which could potentially cause the antenna to break off. Is this true?

Hello all,

I have one of Ed Fong's Antennas...the TBJ-1. I use it for mobile ECOMM and it works well for the mountains where I live.

Ed's tri-bander is a 1/2 wave and rated at 75 watts.

Price is quite reasonable and comparable to those you've listed.

Here's the link: About - Ed's Antennas

HTH

P.S. The antenna can be ordered with either an SO-239 or an "N" connector. I chose the latter...
Thank you for answering, but I'm looking for an antenna that be carried around attached to the radio.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
The Diamond adapter is about 0.5 inches. It won't add much length. I got mine from DX Engineering - their part number is DMN-SMAJ-SMAJ. They also sell the SRH-320.

Status
Not open for further replies.