re: a MFJ-936B loop tuner

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve-kc7byp

re: a MFJ-936B loop tuner

I just bought a MFJ-936B used and it is on the way to me. I need some help in making a 80m loop antenna for it. The manual for the MFJ-936B (I looked the manual up online) says the 80m 1/4 wave loop has to be 63 feet in dia. How is this possible for an antenna tuner that is supposed to be for a portable field antenna system. My open air (no roof) balcony is 5 feet long and 3 feet wide. A 63 foot dia loop antenna won't fit on my balcony. Can someone please help me make a 80m loop antenna that will fit on my balcony. Maby a 2 or 3 loop, loop antenna. Kind a like the crude attached drawing?

Steve

Attachments

• 3 ring loop antenna.jpg
    3 ring loop antenna.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 282

RFBOSS

"The manual for the MFJ-936B (I looked the manual up online) says the 80m 1/4 wave loop has to be 63 feet in dia."

That is not correct. It says that the length of the loop is 63 feet. That would be a circular loop with a diameter of 20 feet.

You can make a multi-turn loop. In very basic terms as you reduce the area of the loop, the performance will decrease.

If the loop tuner will tune it (start with low power), give it a try, you may make some contacts.

There is a fair amount of information about using a multi-turn loop antenna for 80 meters on the net.

Attachments

• YTR.jpg
    YTR.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 205
Status
Not open for further replies.