10 meter antenna selections

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdotts

Hello have my tech ticket with Icon 7300 rig and at this time two antennas.
First a Solorcon MAX 2000 on a 30 foot pushup mast using Shireen 400 flex cable, which does ok.
Second a Alpha Delta DX EE inverted at 30 feet, which does't do as good.
My question is what other than a rotatable beam (which would be too large and shot down by my HOA) would be a better antenna? Please advise.

TheSpaceMann

Hello have my tech ticket with Icon 7300 rig and at this time two antennas.
First a Solorcon MAX 2000 on a 30 foot pushup mast using Shireen 400 flex cable, which does ok.
Second a Alpha Delta DX EE inverted at 30 feet, which does't do as good.
My question is what other than a rotatable beam (which would be too large and shot down by my HOA) would be a better antenna? Please advise.
Have you tried a simple dipole? It is also possible to make a rotatable dipole using two 10 meter Hamsticks! :)

Allen1972

Re- 10 meter antenna selections

Have you tried to build your own 10m antenna, a 10m vertical might be a great start and you can build a radial plate or order one and put down about 20 radials. I have one for 20m and it works very good. being in a HOA I don't think the vertical would be a problem.

wb6uqa

10 meter antenna

10 meters is dead now. An end fed is very easy to hide. They are 10 through 80 meters. I put up a Cobra ant.works very well.10- 80 meters. Cobra has some very short models. A hex beam with a 10-foot turning radius 6-20 meters. A flagpole ant.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
My first 10 meter antenna was a simple quarter wave ground plane with three radials. It was a CB vertical that I picked up from Radio Shack on sale because it was discontinued. I cut it to the proper length and fastened it to the eve of my house.

It worked well. One of my first contacts was with Australia. (But 10 meters was open back then. Not like it is now). Unfortunately, it was only made with 3/8" aluminum tubing and the first big windstorm that came along destroyed it. Which I guess explains why Radio Shack was getting rid of them :)

Google for "10 meter ground plane" and you'll find all sorts of plans on how to construct one.

And.. With the low sunspots, 10 meter pickings can be pretty meager. You can go days tuning the band and hearing nothing.. But there are sporadic openings. Last fall, I manged to pick up a propagation beacon from New Zealand. It was running 8 Watts into a quarter wave ground plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.