RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio Antennas

Amateur Radio Antennas - For discussion of all amateur band designed antennas and related accoutrements. This includes base, handheld, mobile and repeater usage. For commercial antennas on the amateur bands please use Commercial Radio Antennas below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-27-2017, 12:14 PM

Default Aftermarket Antenna For Yaesu FT1XD

As posted above, I am looking for a replacement aftermarket antenna for my Yaesu FT1XD. Right now, I am considering a Diamond SRH77CA. Can anybody here advise if I can do better, either price wise, performance wise, or quality, in a dual band antenna like that?
Sponsored links
Old 12-27-2017, 2:30 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASII View Post
As posted above, I am looking for a replacement aftermarket antenna for my Yaesu FT1XD. Right now, I am considering a Diamond SRH77CA. Can anybody here advise if I can do better, either price wise, performance wise, or quality, in a dual band antenna like that?
I have the RH777 in BNC and it's okay but not crazy about the hinge unless I have a scanner in a temporary location with no space for external antenna.

I have several other HT antennas and the SRH320A may work but is a tri-band and costs more.

You can read reviews below from people that use them as intended.

Diamond SRH320A HT Ant - 2/220/430 Product Reviews

Diamond SRH77CA Dual Band (2 m /70 CM) HT Antenna Product Reviews
Old 12-27-2017, 3:15 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Because of my somewhat over-abundant mid-section, I bent the stock antenna on my FT1DR right away from clipping it on my belt. I thought about the Diamond SRH77CA antenna, but I've not been too fond of the longer antenna ever since I accidentally stuck it up my nose.

I found a good substitute in an antenna from Wouxun. It fits perfectly and is flexible like the Diamond, but short enough that it doesn't get in the way. Here is a picture of the antenna installed on an FT-60R.

Old 12-27-2017, 4:22 PM

The Comet SMA-24 is a better antenna than the Diamond SRH-77CA. I have both, and did low signal range testing on both. The Comet won. It's lightweight and thin, and doesn't have the bulk at the bottom. It's also my goto antenna for my scanners, as it receives 800 better than the Diamond. I need more of them!

Phil
Old 12-29-2017, 2:03 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASII View Post
One thing to consider with either antenna mentioned is that as soon as you attach your clipped on radio your radio will do a 180 and the antenna will be pointing at the ground. Depending on application a vest holder is best when using a longer whip on a handheld.

Bob - AF6D

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2017, 3:30 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazybob View Post
One thing to consider with either antenna mentioned is that as soon as you attach your clipped on radio your radio will do a 180 and the antenna will be pointing at the ground. Depending on application a vest holder is best when using a longer whip on a handheld.

Bob - AF6D

The FT1DR/XD doesn't have a swiveling belt clip like some of the other Yaesu radios. I've seen lots of people use these antennas with a belt radio and have no issues with the position of the radio.

(In my opinion, the swivel belt clips are a pain in the butt.)
Old 12-29-2017, 3:34 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by k6cpo View Post
The FT1DR/XD doesn't have a swiveling belt clip like some of the other Yaesu radios. I've seen lots of people use these antennas with a belt radio and have no issues with the position of the radio.

(In my opinion, the swivel belt clips are a pain in the butt.)
On that we agree. The swivel belt clip was a pain in the butt. I've got a bush antenna that's about two and a half feet long and when I put it on my vx7 it does 180. Not the same with my Motorola's.