RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio Antennas

Amateur Radio Antennas - For discussion of all amateur band designed antennas and related accoutrements. This includes base, handheld, mobile and repeater usage. For commercial antennas on the amateur bands please use Commercial Radio Antennas below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2018, 7:28 PM

Default Antenna Tower Question

Can anyone identify this tower? I think its somewhere around 30 feet tall when all assembled as each section is about 8 feet long ( 3x8=24ft) plus that center pole which probably adds another 6 feet or so.

Seller wants $150 for it. I'm just looking to put an 8 to 10 foot long (2 meter band) antenna on top.

Any idea who makes it? I'd like to find some specifications.
Attached Images

Sponsored links
Old 01-06-2018, 8:17 PM

Looks like a free standing light duty tv tower to me
Doesn't look like it's designed to climb but it's likely light enough to mount on a hinge plate and push it up.
I sure wouldn't recommend using a long mast pipe like the one in the picture.
Old 01-06-2018, 8:51 PM

$150 is too much for that tower.
prcguy
Old 01-06-2018, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy625 View Post
Seller wants $150 for it. I'm just looking to put an 8 to 10 foot long (2 meter band) antenna on top.
Seller is possibly smoking crack.

A used tower is a big question mark. You never know how the original owner used/abused it. Improper installation could have allowed water to build up inside. Could be rusting out internally. It'd need a really close inspection.
Even then, $150 for a 30 foot tower is high.

30 feet is all you need? Put up a pole.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:22 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

You're gonna want a tilt base.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:48 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default TOWER

It looks like a Rohn. I would just buy the top section and install it on your roof.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:55 PM

Rohn 25G's have the "Z pattern bracing. That's not a Rohn 25G. 25G's also have two bolt holes on each leg. One 1/4 inch, one 5/16 inch, if I recall correctly.
I did have a tower similar looking to that for an old VHF paging system. I had it removed a few years ago. Never did find any identifiable markings on it.
Old 01-07-2018, 2:29 AM

Don't want it on my roof, needs to be free standing. I need about 30 feet.

What do you guys think its worth?

I think I might have found it here:
TDL 17 Gauge Heavy Duty 20 Feet Antenna Tower Top section and Straight section (TDLT and TDLS) at SunnyDirect.ca
Old 01-08-2018, 10:49 PM

UPDATE:

Well, I picked up the tower. Paid $100 for it.

Checked inside the tubes and they look brand new. The guy said he bought it new in 2016 and it was only up for 1 year.

Its 30 feet so I should be able to put a nice Diamond antenna at the top of it. I'm also going to mount some LED flood lights up there and a PTZ IP Camera. Its going to be a busy tower!

I'm already 250 feet above the rest of the metro area, all except some hills to the west of me. Getting up an extra 30 feet should help a lot with those hills and getting over some of the brush and trees everywhere else.

Its actually a pretty nice looking tower although it doesn't come with any hardware. I'll have to dig into my box of stainless steel bolts and also weld together a stainless base plate for it.
Old 01-09-2018, 3:23 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy625 View Post
UPDATE:

Well, I picked up the tower. Paid $100 for it.

Checked inside the tubes and they look brand new. The guy said he bought it new in 2016 and it was only up for 1 year.

Its 30 feet so I should be able to put a nice Diamond antenna at the top of it. I'm also going to mount some LED flood lights up there and a PTZ IP Camera. Its going to be a busy tower!

I'm already 250 feet above the rest of the metro area, all except some hills to the west of me. Getting up an extra 30 feet should help a lot with those hills and getting over some of the brush and trees everywhere else.

Its actually a pretty nice looking tower although it doesn't come with any hardware. I'll have to dig into my box of stainless steel bolts and also weld together a stainless base plate for it.
There have been many complaints about LED lights and noisy power supplies/transformers. Recommend you check out whatever you're buying for RF suitability before mounting.
Old 01-09-2018, 4:01 PM

Yup, I put up some IP cameras and had to wrap several turns of the CAT5 through ferrites at the camera and the router end to calm down some noise. Plus I always run shielded CAT5 to keep noise out of my radios and radios out of my IP network.
prcguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by N5TWB View Post
There have been many complaints about LED lights and noisy power supplies/transformers. Recommend you check out whatever you're buying for RF suitability before mounting.