RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio Antennas

Amateur Radio Antennas - For discussion of all amateur band designed antennas and related accoutrements. This includes base, handheld, mobile and repeater usage. For commercial antennas on the amateur bands please use Commercial Radio Antennas below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2018, 6:08 AM

Default Another antenna question

Subtle is what I have to go with for antennas which is why I was thinking a 1/4 wave.

Unfortunately it appears that I canít locate a 1/4 wave that will hit both 444 and 469 so I might be stuck with the 1402.

Think of my ďmodificationĒ as having to ask for forgiveness rather than permission. I donít need a 30Ē antenna drawing attention to my modifications.

Iím new to the Ham side of the house having just picked up my technician after a fun little jaunt to Puerto Rico and St Croix where I encountered a lot of radio work-around in place.

Most of the time I work off a xts5000 but thatís being replaced soon with an apx8000 if the budget is approved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by k9medic; 02-11-2018 at 6:54 AM..
Sponsored links
Old 02-11-2018, 6:53 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Just get a “450-460” cut 1/4 wave and you’ll be just fine. It is not that critical, as long as there is a good groundplane under the antenna your VSWR will not be high enough to warrant an issue...
Old 02-11-2018, 9:16 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9medic View Post
Subtle is what I have to go with for antennas which is why I was thinking a 1/4 wave.

Unfortunately it appears that I canít locate a 1/4 wave that will hit both 444 and 469 so I might be stuck with the 1402.

Think of my ďmodificationĒ as having to ask for forgiveness rather than permission. I donít need a 30Ē antenna drawing attention to my modifications.

Iím new to the Ham side of the house having just picked up my technician after a fun little jaunt to Puerto Rico and St Croix where I encountered a lot of radio work-around in place.

Most of the time I work off a xts5000 but thatís being replaced soon with an apx8000 if the budget is approved.

It's not a true 1/4 wave but will perform identically for all intents and purposes.
PCTEL MLPV430
It's roughly 4" tall but has a 2:1 VSWR bandwidth from 430 MHz to 480 MHz.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Good choice. A simple 1/4 wave whip will blend in very well on a full sized truck. The standard whips are nearly invisible unless someone is looking for them.

Quote:
Unfortunately it appears that I can’t locate a 1/4 wave that will hit both 444 and 469 so I might be stuck with the 1402.
A basic 1/4 wave UHF will have very wide bandwidth. Back when I used to have a GMRS license, I used a 1/4 wave whip for both GMRS and 70cm amateur as well as some work stuff. Works just fine. The SWR is low across a very wide chunk of band.
Old 02-11-2018, 7:19 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

My Comtelco 1/4 wave UHF with the spring is 100mhz wide at less that 2:1.
Sponsored links
Old 02-12-2018, 7:39 AM

I ran by the shop and they had a uhf antenna thatís marked 450-465.

That should work for the uhf side right?

Old 02-12-2018, 8:13 AM

Quote:
I ran by the shop and they had a uhf antenna thatís marked 450-465.

That should work for the uhf side right?
Sure, if the frequencies you are using are in that general area. While it says 450-465, It'll cover quite a bit on either side just fine.
That's what we were saying about how wide banded 1/4 wave antennas are. That antenna is optimized for 450-465.
Old 02-12-2018, 8:19 AM

Gotcha. That's what I was thinking. SARnet in Florida is 444 rx/ 449 tx and I need to hit some stuff in the 469tx range too.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:23 AM

You'll be fine with that.

I have a few antenna analyzer plots for VHF quarter wave antennas, unfortunately none of UHF.
I can tell you that on VHF, I have very low SWR from 140 up to about 170MHz.

The 1/4 wave antennas are great when you have a lot of spectrum to cover. And, considering the price of a new one, they should be a good first step antenna for most people. Jumping right away to higher gain/narrower bandwidth/more expensive antennas should be saved for a second choice. You can pick up a 1/4 wave UHF antenna for less than $10.00