Inverted V, End of Mfg. Home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cliffcor

I have recently passed my General and am interested in HF. I have a non-metal Manufactured home. It's in a community, so I'm restricted to not have an antenna higher then the peak of the home (~12 Feet). What I'm looking for is to see if an idea I have is crazy or doable.

Have an Inverted V attached midpoint at the peak of the end of the home, with the two legs at a 45degree angle to the corners of the home. I figure I have about 17 feet for each leg. My question relates to having the wires pretty close to the end of the home.

What do you think?

Cliff

I_am_Alpha1

First...congrats on the General ticket. Now, how in the heck to they expect an antenna, regardless of what you are using it for, to work when it's below the peak of the roof. TV antennas have to be higher...they don't work too well on the side of the house. What about wireless internet...normally they require lots of height. Antenna restrictions violate federal, and some states', laws...but they get away with it because HOAs (just puked a bit) are private entities and are allowed to violate your constitutional rights since you are forced to sign a contract with them in order to purchase the property. Makes my BP elevate a tad.

"Deep breath"--better now. I recommend you approach them and show a picture of what you want to do and ask for permission. I was able to do this a few years back...I submitted a photo of my house and I drew a simple tilt over pole with a dual band antenna on the top a few feet over the roof line (25'). I added two lines going down each slope for my HF antenna. They approved it since it wasn't a large multi-beam antenna larger than my house itself. The issue you may have is the apex of the inverted V should be 30' above the ground with the 2 ends around 10' off the ground. People have done what you describe...as long as you are away from metal it "may" work...you have to consider all the topography around you, like the neighbors house. I now have mine up at the 30' since I now live in a free county and it's working better. My last house had some RF come in and turn on touch lights and really messed with the DirecTV box. Friends complained about their cable box getting messed up by HF from their radios. Distance is what you need, but we all can't have a 50' tower with a beam 100' from the house--bummer. Some other ammunition...you can not be mandated to buy a service. If you can't get TV with an antenna in your attic, they have to allow you to install one on your roof or pay for your cable bill...your HF antenna has less of a visual footprint than a TV antenna. They have to allow you to install a Dish/DirecTV dish or pay for your cable...again HF antenna has less of a visual footprint. The small wire will be nearly invisible--they will only see the pole and center connectors. If wireless internet is available, they can't stop you from installing an antenna for that unless they pay your internet bill. Caution...they pay your cable and internet bill by raising your dues...nice trick on their part. My point is the HF antenna is hard to see compared to the other types of antennas. They can only say no...HOA firing squads are pending approval.

cliffcor

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it's a situation I'm working on.

I may just try it to see what if anything I can get done with that kind of arrangement. It may be an option to make a temporary antenna, likely a vertical and only have it up when I'm using it. Yeah, my prior home would have been no rpblem for almost anything, but in the 55+ community, I'm pretty limited.
Cliff

cliffcor

Thanks for the replies.

I've collected a few articles relating to a flag pole vertical. It's being considered. I'll also go explore the Cobra mentioned above. Thanks for both ideas!

Cliff

Status
Not open for further replies.