Anyone try the LOG or loop-on-ground yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanZor

Just wondering if anyone has tried the LOG or loop-on-ground antenna, intended mainly for rx-only:

https://forums.radioreference.com/receive-antennas-below-30mhz/370110-160-20m-log-loop-ground.html

I bring it up here since Field Day is approaching, and this might just be another tool in your antenna kit. At the very least, a convenient way to put up (down really!) yet another antenna, possibly in what would have been wasted space.

Matt, KK5JY's page got me interested in trying this.
The Loop on Ground Antenna - the "LoG"

In a nutshell:
Basically a non-resonant, lossy 160-20m (15m with squirrely pattern) 60-foot circumference loop in a square placed *directly* on ground. Uses a 9:1 (or even 4:1 if that is all you have) transformer. Follow good coax transmission line sanitizing by using at least ferrite chokes at feedpoint and one at rig, preferably using a physically isolated 1:1 breaker if you have that. Ok to ground coax PRIOR to the antenna loop but only if you have the galvanically isolated breaker. Objective is to not fool yourself by making coax the real antenna with common-mode.

Ample signal strength without preamps, even though it is about 20-30 dbi low. although if you want to move the signal-to-noise window up, the preamp in your rig is fine enough. I don't need it. But no more S-meter eye-candy. S0 noise floor.

Transmit on it? I wouldn't waste my time pumping 99% of my power into the dirt. But on receive, receiver gain is more than enough with standard amp in your rig. Directional pattern looks NVIS omni to skywave, but again receiver gain, rather than transmit power wasted, makes it much less so in an rx-only application. Or perhaps use a tx/rx switch and a dedicated transmit antenna. Two lower-angle lobes at adjacent corners of the square - so move the feedpoint to another corner to "point" this thing.

At first glance at the pattern in EZnec, I didn't think I'd waste my time. Glad I actually tried it. I delved into the "dog" or dipole on ground, but seem to prefer the loop. I felt no need to make this antenna resonant, but maybe you would with an auto-tuner etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

nanZor

10 meters!

Although not really intended for anything higher than 20 meters, I did hear a great opening on 15m during the CQ contest a few weeks ago, and today picked up a few 10 meter ops. Beacons from neighboring states, and a small handful of qso's. Needed the rig's first preamp to be on.

Even though EZnec shows the somewhat squirrely directional pattern on 10 meters because this 60-foot on ground loop is larger than a 1 wavelength, the qso's I heard were off the back of the main lobes. Not strong mind you, but totally legible. I only had time for about 30 minutes of monitoring, so couldn't truly tell if the pattern jives with what EZnec says it should be being only an inch off the ground in it's calculations.

My only concern is that since there is no overhead null, and at this frequency, background noise might be higher than usual and long term listener fatigue might be an issue, although audio filtering helped, and the occasional big-signal peaks were pleasant.

No matching or tuning needed. Just running the 9:1 isolated balun to 50Z coax to rig.

nanZor

40 meter daytime notes:

Since this antenna is forced to ground level on purpose (mostly to prevent it from being TOTALLY nvis, and get two bidirectional lower lobes), during the day on 40 meters it is still mostly high(ish) level angles listening to short skip.

It is kind of frustrating to be able to listen to everyone in a noon-time net, albeit at much lower signal levels, where other participants have to give up or relay some of the other stations.

So, I'm asking all you amateurs out there to bring your horizontal antennas down lower, maybe put up a "daytime" backyard inverted vee that almost touches the ground.

For those running verticals, could you please change them to inverted-L's to get some higher angles during the day? Maybe a 25/75 or even 50/50 vertical/horizontal split.

When the band starts to go long, raise those horizontal antennas, or crank the inverted-L back up to a true vertical again.

If everyone could have this done by say Monday, I'd really appreciate it. :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.