Mag mount protection suggestions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Hi folks,

I'm looking for suggestions on what to put under a mag mount to prevent rust/paint discoloration etc etc on a vehicle. Obviously anything too thick will hamper the performance of the magnet. Too thin and it'll likely wear thru.

Anyone have any good suggestions? Thanks!!

Will001

Premium Subscriber
For long term use, mag mount antennas should be a backup to a backup. Otherwise, I would use a thin microfiber cloth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
For long term use, mag mount antennas should be a backup to a backup. Otherwise, I would use a thin microfiber cloth.

Company vehicle so my options are pretty much limited to mag mount I'm afraid.

Will001

Premium Subscriber
I understand. Like I said, a thin microfiber cloth would work great. Just cut it around the base of the antenna so it doesn’t stick out, and you’ll be good to go.

ScanYak

Feed Provider
This is how I mount my mag antenna on a new Impala. I cut a small piece of 3M paint protectant film and apply it under the antenna location. The protectant film is an amazing product, I have it on all the front surfaces of the vehicle.

Attachments

• mag protection.jpg
    mag protection.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 226

DJ11DLN

This is how I mount my mag antenna on a new Impala. I cut a small piece of 3M paint protectant film and apply it under the antenna location. The protectant film is an amazing product, I have it on all the front surfaces of the vehicle.

You beat me to it. This works very well...and when it comes time to trade, or in the OP's case, turn in the vehicle, a heat gun will allow it to peel right off.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber

There's also a product called "helicopter tape" which works equally well. Pricey, but worth it. It can be found at bicycle shops - apparently it's favored by that crowd for protecting bikes.

I got mine on EBay.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Helicopter tape is also popular on race cars to protect leading edges made from materials like fiberglass or carbon fiber that can be eroded by the blast of air, bugs, and road grit. You can find it on Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.