Butternut HF-9V antenna question

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK6KYF

Premium Subscriber
I just restored a Butternut HF-9V. I have a question about what type of coax to use. The antenna has 75ohm cable that connects to the antenna. I have a 150 ft run from the antenna to where it will enter my house. Should I use 50ohm cable or continue with the 75 ohm? What would be the best cable to use?

Thank you.

prcguy

The feedline to the antenna should be 50 ohms and I would use a good RG-8 or LMR400 as the losses will start adding up on the higher bands at 150ft.

This antenna requires a good ground plane and the more the better. I planted one on a commercial roof that was 125ft square and bonded copper sheet metal, the performance was way beyond my expectations. Use only a couple of ground radials or just a ground rod and its not so good.

One indication of insufficient ground plane is how close to stock the shunt coil is at the feedpoint. With very little ground plane the coil will be stock with the winds tight together to obtain a good match. As you improve the ground plane you will have to spread the coil out as the ground plane improves. With the copper roof I had to remove a couple of turns on the shunt coil to get it to match.

I just restored a Butternut HF-9V. I have a question about what type of coax to use. The antenna has 75ohm cable that connects to the antenna. I have a 150 ft run from the antenna to where it will enter my house. Should I use 50ohm cable or continue with the 75 ohm? What would be the best cable to use?

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.