How do I get Started with ARPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laxplurr06

I would like to use ARPS, but I am not sure hoe to go about doing it. My questions are.

1. How can I plot ARPS on a map such as Google earth?
2. How do I modify my Radio Shack HTX-202 to receive and transmit ARPS?

darg

Well, I can't answer the question of how to get your particular radio going to transmit but there is an export tool on Google Maps APRS which exports the kmz file for Google Earth. At the moment the data base is down but I can remember that you can track an active signal via google earth with that.

n5usr

Premium Subscriber
No need to modify the radio. You simply connect to it via the external mic / speaker connections.

What you need is something to generate/use the packet data. What you use depends slightly on what you want to do.

If all you want is to track a moving object (car, bike, etc) you don't necessarily need something that can decode received packets. A few companies sell "APRS trackers" that simply connect to the radio and a GPS, then transmit the position data received from the GPS periodically. Better ones will also listen to the received audio to be sure they aren't doubling with someone. The one I recently bought is a TinyTrak3+, very small and easy to use - has some configuration software for Windows to set everything then it's all automatic.

If you want interactivity - send/receive messages and such - there are a few of the trackers that also have that capability, or you can use software on a PC. You will need either a TNC to connect to the computer, or use a soundcard to interface to the radio. Since an HTX-202 doesn't have VOX, you'd also need a serial or parallel port connection to key the radio, as well as a small transistor circuit to interface to the radio. There are a few different PC software packages available, but I'm not very familiar with them. The one I see most often on APRS is called UIView.

D00D

In addition to Google Earth and UI-view there are some good websites. I primarily use aprs.fi but openaprs.net is another one.

I prefer the Argent OpenTracker+ over the TinyTrak since you get more feature/functionality. The wiring is the same regardless of which you go with. These make it inexpensive to get started and then you can add the two-way stuff later.

Here is the wiring diagram for the 202. It shouldn't be hard at all to make the cable and I just learned that you can actually find the 2.5mm connectors at Radio Shack (much to my surprise).

ht1p.png

Laxplurr06

Thanks for the help so far. I am having trouble figuring out how to decode ARPS what programs do I use? I just want to start with decoding for now. I am usually pretty good with this stuff, but I cant seem to figure out what programs to use.

D00D

If you're just looking to see the APRS traffic in your area I'd recommend getting the OpenTracker+ and flashing it with the KISS firmware. As for software I'd look into UI-view (Windows) or Xastir (Linux). This assumes, of course, that you want to do it over RF. If you want to see while you're home just use one of the referenced websites.

This help?

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
Thanks for the help so far. I am having trouble figuring out how to decode ARPS what programs do I use? I just want to start with decoding for now. I am usually pretty good with this stuff, but I cant seem to figure out what programs to use.

You want to see who is on APRS? Then all you need to do is go to Google Maps APRS
on the net and it will load the map.

Laxplurr06

If you're just looking to see the APRS traffic in your area I'd recommend getting the OpenTracker+ and flashing it with the KISS firmware. As for software I'd look into UI-view (Windows) or Xastir (Linux). This assumes, of course, that you want to do it over RF. If you want to see while you're home just use one of the referenced websites.

This help?

Yes that helps I will look into buying OpenTracker+. That website is pretty cool but I was thinking that I would like to receive the data, so that I can see how far out I can receive stations.

D00D

Then you definitely want to go the RF route. Using the online tools won't tell you what you're looking for. Radio, OpenTracker+, and UI-view.

K

kb0nly

Lots of options here...

The most basic would be an Opentracker + loaded with KISS firmware and then UI-View on a computer to monitor what it receives.

I now run an Opentracker 2, OT2M, and a Garmin Nuvi 350. Everything you need in one small package. Displays stations received, transmits your location, and even has APRS messaging.

You could also get a cheap used TNC, Kantronics, MFJ, you name it, and again run it in KISS mode with UI-View. All depends on how you want to use it, mobile, stationary, etc.

The added benefit of using a Opentracker or TNC and UI-View at home is you can also become a Digi or Igate if your area needs it. Make sure if you go that route you get the PA7RHM map server for UI-View, gives you full mapping capability with UI-View as it downloads Navteq maps.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Yes that helps I will look into buying OpenTracker+.
Actually, the Tracker2 from Argent Data (same web site as the OpenTracker+) has more features. With the OT+, you have to download different firmware to run a weather station or do KISS mode. With the T2, KISS mode is built-in and selectable using the configuration program. If you are going to use your APRS unit with a PC program, such as UI-View or Xastir, KISS is the way to go. One option to consider is the T2-135 which is a board that goes inside an Alinco DR-135T 2m mobile radio. It makes for a neat, self-contained package.

As for PC programs, APRSpoint is probably the easiest way to go for a new user because pan-and-zoom mapping comes with the program (using Microsoft's MapPoint data), but you will run into APRSpoint's limitations as you explore more of APRS's functionality. UI-View is still pretty much the standard APRS program for the PC. The author of UI-View died a few years ago and the code was frozen at the time of his passing, but the program is well supported by the user community and several add-ons have been developed for it. To get pan-and-zoom mapping with UI-View, you have to invest in Precision Mapping from UnderTow Software and use the add-on map server. Xastir is a Linux program that I think uses Tiger mapping data from the U.S. Census Bureau. Xastir reportedly runs fine under Windows using some magic that I don't fully understand, but the Xastir users can help you with that. All three of these programs have good user support, primarily through Yahoo Groups.

K

kb0nly

Actually, the Tracker2 from Argent Data (same web site as the OpenTracker+) has more features. With the OT+, you have to download different firmware to run a weather station or do KISS mode. With the T2, KISS mode is built-in and selectable using the configuration program. If you are going to use your APRS unit with a PC program, such as UI-View or Xastir, KISS is the way to go. One option to consider is the T2-135 which is a board that goes inside an Alinco DR-135T 2m mobile radio. It makes for a neat, self-contained package.

As for PC programs, APRSpoint is probably the easiest way to go for a new user because pan-and-zoom mapping comes with the program (using Microsoft's MapPoint data), but you will run into APRSpoint's limitations as you explore more of APRS's functionality. UI-View is still pretty much the standard APRS program for the PC. The author of UI-View died a few years ago and the code was frozen at the time of his passing, but the program is well supported by the user community and several add-ons have been developed for it. To get pan-and-zoom mapping with UI-View, you have to invest in Precision Mapping from UnderTow Software and use the add-on map server. Xastir is a Linux program that I think uses Tiger mapping data from the U.S. Census Bureau. Xastir reportedly runs fine under Windows using some magic that I don't fully understand, but the Xastir users can help you with that. All three of these programs have good user support, primarily through Yahoo Groups.

APRSpoint is far from being a UI-View replacement, i played with it but the demo version can't even do anything but run and look at it, so you have to shell out big bucks to even try it. Doesn't have weather, digi, or igate functions either.

You DO NOT NEED PRECISION MAPPING for UI-View. I don't know why everyone thinks thing. All you need is a FREE plugin called PA7RHM Map Server. You can pan, zoom, everything. Works perfect. If you have a slow internet connection it may take a short pause to process, for me its instantaneous.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
APRSpoint is far from being a UI-View replacement...
Agreed. But in my experience, it's the easiest for new users to learn and understand. By the time they butt heads with it's limitations, they are savvy enough to move on to UI-View or Xastir.

All you need is a FREE plugin called PA7RHM Map Server. You can pan, zoom, everything. Works perfect.
As long as you have an Internet connection... :wink:

K

kb0nly

Agreed. But in my experience, it's the easiest for new users to learn and understand. By the time they butt heads with it's limitations, they are savvy enough to move on to UI-View or Xastir.

As long as you have an Internet connection... :wink:

How is it that your able to try APRSPoint? I'm curious about the program, i think if the author adds features it would make a good UI-View replacement, but from what i see the demo he offers doesn't do anything. It won't connect to the server, says not available in demo when you try to, i tried connecting it to a TNC to monitor activity to test it out, and again it says not available in demo.

The most i have got it to do is load and zoom and pan around the map...

Yes true, as long as you have internet, if you don't you can plan ahead and load maps of your area and save them using PA7RHM, then all you have to do is switch maps. I do that when i take UI-View somewhere and know i wont have internet available.

Status
Not open for further replies.