APRS? Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K9WG

Why would anyone want to use APRS on a continous basis? I can understand the use for public service events (keeping track of operators during a marathon or parade) but many have it enabled all the time. I would not want anyone knowing if I am home or not.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Why would anyone want to use APRS on a continous basis? I can understand the use for public service events (keeping track of operators during a marathon or parade) but many have it enabled all the time. I would not want anyone knowing if I am home or not.

Severe weather spotter availability would be one of the main reasons. :)

n9zas

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I use it in the 18 wheeler all the time, met quite a few fellow truckers who are Hams, then we can chat or have coffee

LtDoc

I'm sure if you think about it you can find several reasons for APRS in general, and specific reasons for individual use. I like to keep track of my movements at work, and APRS is certainly capable of that. I think one reason is that I 'made' the things myself, rather than buying the same sort of thingy from 'Delorme'. Oh well...
- 'Doc

kc4jgc

APRS can be used to get real time info on a number of amateur radio specific assets such as repeater locations/freq/tone , IRLP/Echolink nodes/freq/tone, and other items. Also, a station can run a kiosk that has information such as QTH of hospitals, PD stations, etc. There are also servers that can track highway speeds at certain locations on highways when mobiles beacon in those areas. APRS can also be used on foxhunts to pinpoint interfering signals.

Have you seen WB4APR's web site? CDR Bob has a ship load of info on how his baby can be used in normal situations.

n5ims

There have been several reports of folks locating and tracking their stolen car using APRS, allowing the PD to quickly recover the stolen vehicle.

kc2rgw

Premium Subscriber
It's just generally fun to play with too. I wouldn't enable it all the time either for the reasons of security you mentioned.

One of the features not often used is the messaging and it would be a lot more fun if it was. Part of the trouble there is the total awkwardness of entering any text with most radios. I've played around with it from the house via Xastir running on the computer. If you catch some active users it's fun.

The proximity/beacon ability to find other hams for simplex contacts while on the road is neat too.

It needs to be implemented in a lot more radios to become common is the main holdup with it. Currently the radios are quite expensive that implement it as a native feature.

lbfd09

Premium Subscriber
I don't know. I just don't like the idea that anyone via the web can know if I am home or not.

That why they have an off switch.

I have a fellow ham in my town that had a stolen vehicle which had APRS in it that was found in minuets thanks to APRS. We also use them locally with the weather office so those folks know where we are when making our observations. As with all parts of this hobby one does not have to participate in everything.

GROCKSHD

Premium Subscriber
I'm a huge fan of APRS. One of the reasons I bought the new Kenwood HT. Used it on my trip to Florida. I was able to track my position. Set my Depature and Destination as waypoints to show me distances. Able to track course, speed, and altitude. Also able to get info on local nets and repeaters along my route. I also use APRS to text message and get other information. In Jacksonville, FL someone had it setup so that you can receive area info just by sending a text message . It's also a good source for weather reports from other stations.

I appreciate you guys out there that have your systems running all the time just so I can enjoy my gadget infused hobby.

alamo5000

I have just began using APRS on my new (first) rig. My radio has an excellent function on it, which could help understand why to run it.

With my rig it has what would be equivalent of "Ham Radar"...so if you have your APRS set up correctly, it will beep and alert you when other HAM's are within Simplex range.

What's more, is my radio at least will show your voice band in the packet because it embeds that information in the packet, so not only do you get location, you get the voice band I am listening to. One click and you can make a contact with a new HAM. That being said they have to enable the 'embed voice frequency' function on their radios for it to work.

So, in other words if I am going on a trip and drive by another ham who has his APRS running, I can visually see that, AND see what band he's on and tune over with one button and make contact even if I am in unfamiliar territory.

In other words if you are listening to 144.275 and have your APRS set up right, I will visually see that, see your location (that you are in whatever range I set, and/or within simplex range) and can tune over with one button and talk to you.

In the course of a hurricane like we have here...that can come in extremely handy. Not to mention being able to pick people out, send them a text message to say 'tune to 145.200' so we can chat.

During hurricane season around here that can be extremely helpful.

Last edited:

canav844

Why not set it up for RF only? And if you can do multiple profiles you can things up to do one profile RF only and one to a more normal setting appropriate for your area.

And don't misplace this on a fear of the web, all the guys that talk about traffic, shout out Moe-Bile after every transmission or who's car you can hear in the background are also announcing they're not home to anyone with a basic analog scanner that can be picked up for $30 on craigslist, or picked up at a pawn shop or grabbed from the last home they robbed. And you'd be amazed how much those door to door salesmen can learn by just ringing on your doorbell and seeing who does or doesn't answer. There is risk in everything, but I think you're more likely to be a victim of general local no-do-gooders.

N6RDC

Unless it's another ham most people don't know about APRS or the sites that show who's transmitting a becon. Unless you're moving around why would anyone want to transmit an APRS beacon anyway?

mgolden2

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Heres a great powerpoint by Bob the creator of APRS that shows its many different uses

http://aprs.org/APRS-by-Bob-lplus.ppt

kc2rgw

Premium Subscriber
Unless it's another ham most people don't know about APRS or the sites that show who's transmitting a becon. Unless you're moving around why would anyone want to transmit an APRS beacon anyway?

It's fun to just 'fish for hams'. I've only run it from my shack and I've had some nice simplex contacts with people as a result of sending out messages or beaconing 'listening on 52' , that sort of thing.

kc4jgc

With my rig it has what would be equivalent of "Ham Radar"...so if you have your APRS set up correctly, it will beep and alert you when other HAM's are within Simplex range.

It's what WB4APR calls "voice alert". When you are in simplex range of another station, you can call that station on 144.39 voice using 100.0 hz ctcss to make contact (APRS doesn't use ctcss), then QSY to another to continue the voice QSO.

Status
Not open for further replies.