kenwood d710a with AGWTracker

Status
Not open for further replies.

K8cpa-chuck

I know it can be used with the radio. I'm thinking of getting one soon.

My question is, how hard is it to interface to the rig?

I already have the AGW packet engine. I am assuming I would not need it with that rig.

Thanks,

-Chuck K8CPA

K4APR

I'm not really familiar with AGWTracker, but if it can do KISS, I would suggest putting the D710 into normal packet mode (non-APRS) and enabling KISS. If you want a more refined, elegant solution, I would ditch the computer and go with a serial mapping GPS such as an older Garmin GPSmap like the 176c or even one of the higher priced AvMap units. Seamless interface to the D710 and you retain all of the APRS function in the radio.

K8cpa-chuck

The D710A is something I will get in the future.

For now, a 1-lander Amateur, who wishes to remain anonymous, is sending me an MFJ-1278 that will be wired for my HTX-242. His message was simple. "I'm paying it forward, do the same."

I can't wait for it to get here!

K8cpa-chuck

Oh, how quickly things change. 1-lander changed his story. Guess I won't be getting on APRS anytime soon.

Eh, it was just a passing fancy.

LtDoc

What do you want to do with APRS?
I've tried that AGW Tracker and can't say I ever got it to work, so can't tell you anything useful about it. I also use APRSISCE, and can say that if done correctly, it does work well. Same for UI-View, but that's not so easy to set up.
I use APRS strictly for RF tracking, no particular use for the internet stuff. I started with UI-View (real pain) and have more or less switched to APRSISE. Actually, use both of them, depends on what I'm doing at the time. None of this is strictly using the radio, I use a laptop. The radio may do it all, but the laptop just offers a larger 'screen' and more information in a more usable form (in my opinion).
I'm not aware of any one program that offers/furnishes everything needed/required for people to do everything they want to do with it. I think such a program isn't going to be 'free' by any means, and it isn't going to be a 'small' program either. It would be very nice is someone wouold write such a thing, but I don't think I'm gonna hold my breath. Oh well...
- 'Doc

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I have the 710. By itself it is great at what it does. I know basically who's out and about, but can't "see" them on a map. I've run APRS-DOS, UI-View, APRS-SA, and am currently using APRSIS/32 for my home station, and IBCNU on my iPhone. I also ran the local WIDE digi until the tower it was on failed inspection and was dropped.

I've seen APRS evolve from it's most basic form with digipaths so long you can't stand it, to what it's become now. I can pretty much say there's never been, and probably never will be a perfect APRS program. UI-View has been out of development since the passing of the Author and destruction of it's code. APRS-DOS, well, good luck getting that to run on a modern computer. APRSIS/32 is actively in development, and Lynn is responsive, and releases updates regularly.

I'm sure there are other programs out there.. I've just stopped looking as APRSIS/32 does what I need and more.

K8cpa-chuck

I have the 710. By itself it is great at what it does. I know basically who's out and about, but can't "see" them on a map. I've run APRS-DOS, UI-View, APRS-SA, and am currently using APRSIS/32 for my home station, and IBCNU on my iPhone. I also ran the local WIDE digi until the tower it was on failed inspection and was dropped.

I've seen APRS evolve from it's most basic form with digipaths so long you can't stand it, to what it's become now. I can pretty much say there's never been, and probably never will be a perfect APRS program. UI-View has been out of development since the passing of the Author and destruction of it's code. APRS-DOS, well, good luck getting that to run on a modern computer. APRSIS/32 is actively in development, and Lynn is responsive, and releases updates regularly.

I'm sure there are other programs out there.. I've just stopped looking as APRSIS/32 does what I need and more.

Have you tried running the 710 with AGWtracker? If so, is there a way to run that rig without using AGW's internal package engine and just let the radio handle the packet stuff? and just let the radio stream info to the computer?

I want that D710A because of the digipeater function. and because you can run 2/440 independent of the subband.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried running the 710 with AGWtracker? If so, is there a way to run that rig without using AGW's internal package engine and just let the radio handle the packet stuff? and just let the radio stream info to the computer?

I want that D710A because of the digipeater function. and because you can run 2/440 independent of the subband.

No, My 710 is mobile. I had it on the bench long enough to program it and install it into my car (N9MXQ-7). I've never used AGW anything as I've always used TNC's or Tiny Traks to do APRS. And as far as I know AGW is a soundcard software.

You can plug a cable into the head unit of the 710 and use it's internal TNC with what ever flavor software you choose via your computers com port.. But if AGW is soundcard only it may not work.

If you put the 710 into KISS mode to use it for APRS at home the software you use will digipeat. UI-View or APRSIS/32 are both fine digipeaters and don't depend on the hardware to accomplish that feat. The TNC is in KISS (yup, Keep It Simple Stupid) mode and the software does all the heavy lifting and the TNC is only an encode/decode device.

After re-scanning through the 710's In depth APRS manual it appears it cannot do KISS, but AGWTracker and the other software suites mentioned will work with this radio.

Last edited:

K8cpa-chuck

No, My 710 is mobile. I had it on the bench long enough to program it and install it into my car (N9MXQ-7). I've never used AGW anything as I've always used TNC's or Tiny Traks to do APRS. And as far as I know AGW is a soundcard software.

You can plug a cable into the head unit of the 710 and use it's internal TNC with what ever flavor software you choose via your computers com port.. But if AGW is soundcard only it may not work.

If you put the 710 into KISS mode to use it for APRS at home the software you use will digipeat. UI-View or APRSIS/32 are both fine digipeaters and don't depend on the hardware to accomplish that feat. The TNC is in KISS (yup, Keep It Simple Stupid) mode and the software does all the heavy lifting and the TNC is only an encode/decode device.

After re-scanning through the 710's In depth APRS manual it appears it cannot do KISS, but AGWTracker and the other software suites mentioned will work with this radio.

I wrote package engine, I meant Packet... :p

Anyhow, yeah, I know all of that. I just wish I could afford to buy one. :D I'd love to own one. Just working on liberating my rich uncle out of the poor house. ;)

K4APR

Honestly, if your primary use for packet will be APRS, just buy a TNC-X:

PIC-Based TNC

This is a KISS only TNC and is perfect for APRS and even Winlink. Any packet software that supports KISS is a perfect match with this TNC. I have about five of these (different revisions) in my shop. At any time I have at least a couple going. Plus I keep a few around for other projects.

As for software APRSISCE is the only Windows game in town worth your time. UI-View is dead in the water, so reason spending any time with it. APRSISCE is actively updated and Lynn is a TOP NOTCH programmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.