TM710A object creation

Status
Not open for further replies.

K7TKR

Premium Subscriber
Morning,

Well after reading and reading the relevant text documents on aprs.org, I am no closer to figuring out how to do objects on the d710. The example is for traffic but, I can't seem to get my radio to except TRAFFIC-4 as a subsitute for mycall at least by going into the aprs menu of the radio and trying to change it. Any advice would be appreciated- also, have the thd72a and same issues.

Mark

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
1. The Kenwood TM-D710 cannot send an object. It doesn't know how. All it can send is an APRS position beacon or an APRS message.

2. The source callsign field in the AX.25 spec, which APRS uses, only allows for 6 alphanumeric characters plus a SSID. The word "TRAFFIC" is seven characters which the Kenwood firmware will not accept. Note that some APRS clients will allow 7-character source callsigns or object names. I just did a quick search of APRS.fi for objects named TRAFFIC and most of them appear to have been sent using UI-View.

K7TKR

Premium Subscriber
1. The Kenwood TM-D710 cannot send an object. It doesn't know how. All it can send is an APRS position beacon or an APRS message.

2. The source callsign field in the AX.25 spec, which APRS uses, only allows for 6 alphanumeric characters plus a SSID. The word "TRAFFIC" is seven characters which the Kenwood firmware will not accept. Note that some APRS clients will allow 7-character source callsigns or object names. I just did a quick search of APRS.fi for objects named TRAFFIC and most of them appear to have been sent using UI-View.

Thanks much. I was going by the text documents on aprs.org to see if it was something I could do. So if I wanted to warn of a traffic situation for example, I would use what- a status or postion message?

Mark

AK9R

Super Moderator
You can temporarily change your status text (Menu 608) to indicate what's going on. Don't forget to change it back to your normal status text when the traffic clears or you move out of the area.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Your call should be in the mycall field, so you stay legal for ID requirements on your transmissions.

You can choose an icon/avatar on the D72, via the aprs menu.

K7TKR

Premium Subscriber
Your call should be in the mycall field, so you stay legal for ID requirements on your transmissions.

You can choose an icon/avatar on the D72, via the aprs menu.

That I do know but thanks. This question sprang from reading the texts over at aprs.org.

Mark

AK9R

Super Moderator
Your FCC callsign can be anywhere in the packet, not just the source field of the packet. Many APRS stations use tactical callsigns in the source field with their FCC callsign in the comment field or in a separate status packet (sent at least every 10 minutes).

K7TKR

Premium Subscriber
Your FCC callsign can be anywhere in the packet, not just the source field of the packet. Many APRS stations use tactical callsigns in the source field with their FCC callsign in the comment field or in a separate status packet (sent at least every 10 minutes).

Kind of a mute point to this subject as you have pointed out, can't do a tactical call-sign in mycall. And that pretty well bottom lines for me because I don't have the space in this cab for a full up APRS station. Hence the mobile and HT re-accusitions. However, good to know otherwise having been away from this aspect of the hobby as long as I was. Pretty darn rusty so have lots to relearn and learn.

Mark

AK9R

Super Moderator
Kind of a mute point to this subject as you have pointed out, can't do a tactical call-sign in mycall.
Yes, you can. It just can't be more than 6 characters long.

Coming up in October, I'll be helping out as a SAG vehicle on the Hilly Hundred bike ride. My tactical call as entered in my TM-D710 will be HHSAGC-1. Six characters plus an SSID.

K7TKR

Premium Subscriber
Yes, you can. It just can't be more than 6 characters long.

Coming up in October, I'll be helping out as a SAG vehicle on the Hilly Hundred bike ride. My tactical call as entered in my TM-D710 will be HHSAGC-1. Six characters plus an SSID.

Gotcha. Okay- you're fooling the firmware. Alpha-numeric characters don't affect the firmware, only the sequence ( for lack of a better word). That works. Now, assuming you're going to use your status slots, what transmit rate do you recommend- seems I remember 1/3 but....

Btw, thanks for your patience in this. I appreciate it.

Mark

AK9R

Super Moderator
Not fooling the firmware as much as working within its limitations. The firmware only allows for 6-character call signs, so that's how we build our tactical call signs.

You have to consider your position beacon rate and your status beacon rate. If you are beaconing once every 3 minutes and you have the status set for 1/3, then you'll be sending your call sign once every 9 minutes which is legal.

K7TKR

Premium Subscriber
Not fooling the firmware as much as working within its limitations. The firmware only allows for 6-character call signs, so that's how we build our tactical call signs.

You have to consider your position beacon rate and your status beacon rate. If you are beaconing once every 3 minutes and you have the status set for 1/3, then you'll be sending your call sign once every 9 minutes which is legal.

Okay. I've been looking for a standard on beacon rates and can't find anything substantial....so, status rate is set at 1/3 and beacon is set to auto at every three minutes.

Mark

AK9R

Super Moderator
The appropriate beacon rate depends on the situation. A home station that doesn't move should beacon no more often than every 10 minutes, though 30 minutes would probably be OK. A digipeater that's sending repeater objects should send them every 10 minutes so that travelers in the area will see them. A mobile station that's moving at a constant speed in a relatively straight line, like a car on a freeway, should beacon no more often than once every 2-3 minutes. If that car is driving around town and changing direction often, a 1-2 minute rate may be more appropriate. But, once that car parks for a few hours, it's rate should change to more like 10 minutes.

The problem is channel congestion. Since most APRS users are on 144.390 MHz, we have to share the channel. All kinds of studies have been done about network congestion, but the bottom line is that a station that beacons frequently with a multi-hop path can really clog up the network.

That's where SmartBeaconing comes into play. It automatically adjusts your beacon rate depending on your speed and your changes in direction. The CD-ROM manual that came with your TM-D710 talks about SmartBeaconing. You can also go to the horse's mouth, so to speak, and read about it from the guys who developed it at: HamHUD - SmartBeaconing™

K7TKR

Premium Subscriber
I have that option on both radios and originally had them both set to that. But after reading the stuff at Bob's site, reset them to auto, every 3 min ( position beaconing). I guess I'll put em back to the smart-beacon.

You know, I don't remember aprs being this complex when I first got into it with the d700 years back. And now.....I am just an old trucker trying to fit in on the aprs landscape without causing hate and discontent for lack of proper operating procedures. So one last question.

Is there any prohibition against operating two radios at the same time? I have the D72 as well and carry that with me outside the truck. It's ssid is -7 as I have read this now designates an HT. I have it operating while leaving the 710 in the beaconing with -14. Usually leave the beacon on the handheld held to off.

Again sir, really do appreciate the info and patience on this.

Mark

AK9R

Super Moderator
WB4APR is not a big fan of SmartBeaconing, so he doesn't promote it. The reality is that SmartBeaconing works pretty well if it's set up correctly. Let's say you have your beacon rate set for 3 minutes automatic. Let's say you park the truck and forget to turn off the radio. It'll sit there and beacon every 3 minutes with no change of position and potentially clog up the local APRS network with redundant position reports. SmartBeaconing would automatically slow your beacon rate down to 10-12-15 minutes, whatever you set the slow rate to. There's nothing wrong with a fixed rate of 3 minutes, but, you can do better with current technology.

As long as your handheld and your mobile have different SSIDs, it won't cause any confusion. There's nothing magic about the SSIDs you choose. Before we had a hundred or so APRS symbols to choose from, SSIDs conveyed useful information. Nowadays, the symbol is more versatile. If you are beaconing K7TKR-14 with a semi truck as your symbol, everybody understands what you are.

K7TKR

Premium Subscriber
No problem with the ssid, my question was more to operating both radios at the same time when out of the truck. I have been keeping 710 beaconing while in the restraunt, shop etc with the 72. I havn't been beaconing with the 72 much (-7) because I am not sure of the legality.

Thanks for the information on Smart Beaconing- interesting read and I can certainly see the benefits in over all packet management. What is WB4APR's issue with it if you know? If the goal is to make 144.390 a better place as he seems to want happen, I'd imagine he'd be all for it.

Again, thanks for all the info and help.

Mark

AK9R

Super Moderator
There's no legal problem with simultaneously beaconing with two different radios as long as they both carry your FCC callsign in the callsign field, the comment, or the status text. For a while, I had a digipeater on the air with W9RXR-1 as the callsign. Simultaneously, I'd be driving around with W9RXR-9 in my truck.

KB3KBR

(ಠ_ಠ) (◣_◢) (。◕‿◕。)
Feed Provider
Thanks much. I was going by the text documents on aprs.org to see if it was something I could do. So if I wanted to warn of a traffic situation for example, I would use what- a status or postion message?

Mark

If you wanted to warn of a traffic problem to the local area a simple message to a bulletin BLN would be sent at least 5 times via your path. ex.: To:BLN:0 traffic congestion on I-80 westbound due to accident.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
If you wanted to warn of a traffic problem to the local area a simple message to a bulletin BLN would be sent at least 5 times via your path. ex.: To:BLN:0 traffic congestion on I-80 westbound due to accident.

A mile marker ie: MM65 would be helpful too..

K7TKR

Premium Subscriber
Okay. I see the BLN under menu-aprs-option 623. Am harboring a few reservations on this though. It is absolutely illegal to text from a commercial vehicle ie, a truck. Think this might constitute texting. Thanks for the thoughts though.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.