Yaesu FT-897 and sound card digital modes

Status
Not open for further replies.

khooke

This does't answer your question directly, but to find out if you're getting a signal out you could send a CQ using JT65 mode using WSJT-X software, and you'll see on the pskreporter website all the stations running the same software and automatically sending their reception reports back to the website. Great way to check if your station is setup right and whether there's currently any open propagation on a given band. If you're setup for 20m SSTV then you should be able to send a JT65 CQ on 14.076 too.

kd5ywa

The Radio is the Problem!!!!

OK, I did the pskreporter thing that you suggested and I transmitted like crazy and nothing. No one heard anything.

So I grabbed my scanner, choose a 6 meter frequency and transmit at 5 watts to see if I could hear anything.

RTTY - Dead Air, no tones
Packet - Dead Air, no tones
SSTV - No tones, some slight clicking
CW - Static to Dead Air CW with no tones....

I have a Yaesu FT-897, is there some stupid setting that causes the transmitter to just transmit dead air, and not tones, or sounds?

Any Ideas?

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
I think we all focused on some kind of antenna or RF problem, assuming you had a fully operational multi-mode (SSTV, RTTY, Packet, CW) interface to your FT-897. But your 6M test shows you have a signal... it's just not modulated. And you wrote that you receive all kinds of stuff. At this point, I'm hoping someone with the same radio you have will jump into the thread, but it's probably time to focus on your multimode modulator/demodulator setup. So a couple of questions to lead us into that area:
1) What is your mod/demod system? (Something like SignalLink, MultiMode, computer card, etc.)
2) How is it interfaced to your FT-897?

kd5ywa

Answer to question #1 is I don't know.

Answer to #2 is I use the HRD Digital Master for Packet, RTTY, and Feld Hell
I use a MFJ CW Keyer (MFJ-464) for CW and I use HRD Digital Master for SSTV with MMSSTV program.

All of which ties into my computer (with the exception of the MFJ CW Keyer) with a CAT USB cable.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
You say you can receive and decode signals from other stations in DM780, is that correct? How is the audio getting from the radio to your computer's sound card?

kd5ywa

Mini mic cable to sound card then send transmit data command out via CAT cable to radio computer controlled via USB Port 4 to be exact. : )

But my concern is now that even with raw CW keying there is no tone

AK9R

Super Moderator
OK, you have to get sound going both ways. The CAT cable is just radio control. It carries no sound. It sounds like DM780 is sending a transmit command via CAT, but it has no way to send the audio. As a result, the radio has nothing to modulate the transmitter with.

You need a cable carrying the receive audio from the radio to the Line or Mic input on your sound card. And, you need a cable carrying the transmit audio from the Line or Speakers output of your sound card to the radio. The TX and RX audio can be combined into one multiconductor cable, but it has to connect to both the outgoing and incoming jacks on your sound card and the corresponding connectors on the radio. If the radio has an Accessory jack on the back, that's typically how the connections are made.

Since we aren't talking about antennas any more, I've split the thread and moved the post about the modulation problems to a new thread.

AK9R

Super Moderator
How is received audio getting from the radio to the computer's sound card?

kd5ywa

Mini mic. No audio is sent back to the radio.

But I have been thinking. I had a virus on my computer prior to this and hence after the new hard drive I lost all the original settings. Some where it is not set up right, and I believe that it is with HRD.

I am a bit irritated at the fact that a CAT cable can not handle audio back and forth. Seems a bit pointless, if it can't transmit the signal needed to transmit from my computer. Otherwise I just hold my mic up to the speaker.

Thank you to all who are helping who have helped and will help. Once this gets worked out I am putting full instructions on how to set it up correctly

WS4JH

Pulled up the online manual for your radio, yes you do have to use the DATA port, very similar to my FT-847 I use to own. It is a mini DIN-6, and has your ground, PTT audio In, and out included. I will have to read back through the thread to see which brand of interface you are using, yet if you are using a Signal Link like I do now, you just need the proper cable. If you have a Homebrew, like I use to use through a serial port, then you just need to pick up a Mini-DIN 6, and ensure your contacts are soldered to the proper pins, and you will be on the air. The CAT port is for controlling the radio, or switching your AMP only, and the wrong port for digital.

K7MEM

Mini mic. No audio is sent back to the radio.

But I have been thinking. I had a virus on my computer prior to this and hence after the new hard drive I lost all the original settings. Some where it is not set up right, and I believe that it is with HRD.

I am a bit irritated at the fact that a CAT cable can not handle audio back and forth. Seems a bit pointless, if it can't transmit the signal needed to transmit from my computer. Otherwise I just hold my mic up to the speaker.

Thank you to all who are helping who have helped and will help. Once this gets worked out I am putting full instructions on how to set it up correctly

It is common for users to see data, even though they don't have a audio connection from the rig to the PC. This happens when the PC has a internal microphone, like many laptops. The trouble with using this method is that you also get the dog's bark and other odd noises. These will interrupt otherwise perfect copy.

The "DATA" jack on the rear of the FT-897 it intended for digital mode operations. While the jack does say "Data In" and "Data Out", this is where the audio should go in and be taken from, respectively.

The FT-897 manual (pp 36-37) describes hot to run RTTY, PSK31, and Packet. The DATA jack is used in conjunction with the correct mode settings. For PSK31 you select Menu Mode No-038 [DIG MODE], select “PSK31-L” (for LSB injection) or “PSK31-U” (for USB injection). Generally they use USB for PSK-31 .

Physically, it is real simple. A shielded audio cable from the DATA jack (Pin 5 - Data Out, Pin 2 - Ground) to the audio input on your PC. Another shielded audio cable from the DATA jack (Pin 1 - Data In, Pin 2 - Ground) to the audio input on your PC. This last one is often marked "Mic". The DATA jack audio output is line level audio and not adjustable with the volume control.

I am pretty sure you can buy a interface cable that's just plug and play, if you don't want to make one.

You mentioned that you are using HRD. HRD comes as several separate programs. Each program can generally run without the others. Or you can run several at the same time. HRD is used as the front end for running everything.

I use HRD with DM780 on my IC-735 using a home brew interface. But some of my rigs do not have rig control capability (boat anchors), so I run DM780 stand alone, without running the HRD front end. It works fine that way. I can usually get all the signals I need from the microphone connector. If not, I invent them.

As a side note, when you are running, make sure you turn the power down. PSK-31 is a continuous mode and can overheat the transmitter, if you run full power. I have run at various power setups from 1 to 25 watts and have no problem getting good contacts.

I would start with the basics, bare radio no sound card interface, disconnect the computer. Start with the bare radio and whatever antenna you have. If you don't have an SWR meter, hope on the interstate and drive until you come to a truck stop. Find one that carries CB stuff they should have a cheap SWR meter

Then set down with your radio, new SWR meter and the manual, start reading page one plug in the factory mic and make sure you are comfortable with operating the radio. Your antenna should be cut for a specific band (20 Meters?) set your mode to AM so you can generate some tx power, check that you have power out using the SWR meter, check forward and reflected power, then switch to USB key the radio and speak into the mic you should see output that varies with speech. Now you should know that your radio is capable of transmitting and your antenna can radiate energy.
Start with the basics and go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.