Best Terminal Node Controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave6890

Premium Subscriber
Looking to get a TNC for personal emergency communications as well as with ARES. Preferably something portable as in it can fit inside a Pelican case, be placed on a table in the field and used with my 2m or dual band mobile, as well as from home.
What's out there? Name a make and model, where to buy it, how much etc.

Thanks.

nd5y

The only TNCs left that I know of are:
MFJ Enterprises Inc.
Kantronics Radio Modems/TNC's
Timewave Technology Inc

Many hams use a simple audio/PTT interface and PC software instead of a hardware TNC.
Back in the 80's and 90's I used a Kantronics KAM for 2m packet and other modes on HF. When the sound card software became available in the late 1990s I built an interface started using the sound card modes. I found that the sound card programs performed way better than the KAM ever did so I sold it.

dave6890

Premium Subscriber
The only TNCs left that I know of are:
MFJ Enterprises Inc.
Kantronics Radio Modems/TNC's
Timewave Technology Inc

Many hams use a simple audio/PTT interface and PC software instead of a hardware TNC.
Back in the 80's and 90's I used a Kantronics KAM for 2m packet and other modes on HF. When the sound card software became available in the late 1990s I built an interface started using the sound card modes. I found that the sound card programs performed way better than the KAM ever did so I sold it.

Thanks. Is there any specific brand I should look for regarding an audio/PTT interface? If I get something dedicated to a computer like software, I'll probably end up buying another Toughbook and use it for just amateur radio stuff like APRS, Echolink etc.

nd5y

Thanks. Is there any specific brand I should look for regarding an audio/PTT interface?
The only ones I have used I built myself. The manufactured ones are too expensive as far as I'm concerned and I have no experience with them. There are also some now that contain their own USB sound device. They are even more expensive but may be more convenient depending on how many USB or serial ports you need and your computer has.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
While some folks have had good success with sound card packet, keep in mind that adjusting the audio levels (in the radio, in the interface, and in the computer) can be a bit finicky and you are totally dependent on your computer to encode and decode packets. With a hardware TNC, such as the Kantronics KPC3, once the levels are set, they're set. Also, a hardware TNC, such as the KPC3, can act as a mailbox and digipeater without being connected to a computer.

Granted, a new KPC3 is a little pricey. But, you can find used ones for $40-100.

Aside from the previously mentioned TNCs, some of the APRS trackers can act as a KISS TNC. The Argent Data Tracker3, Byonics TinyTrak4, and Coastal Chipworks TNC-X (also available as the MJF 1270X) all have KISS modes. These newer TNC designs generally show some decode improvement over the older KPC3 design.

Coastal Chipworks also has a TNC that will strap onto a Raspberry Pi. I've not looked into this to see what it can do, but if you like using the Linux operating system, this may be of interest.

If you decide to go the sound card packet route, take a look at the Tigertronics SignaLink USB. It's kind of the gold standard among inexpensive sound card radio interfaces. The only downside is that it uses a VOX circuit to key the radio instead of using a hardware PTT command from the computer.

I know of one statewide amateur radio auxiliary communications team who decided to use a sound card packet instead of investing in real TNCs. Most of those sound card interfaces are sitting in boxes unused. Using them for packet proved to be just too much of a hassle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.