Digipan Set-Up Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1JWJ

If this is posted in the wrong sub forum, please relocate

Quite new ham here.

Attempting to set up Digipan with my SignaLink USB, etc.

Have all of the Macros written, but in the step which says: "Click on Channel and select Dual Channel Mode", I have no "Channel" button on the Control Bar. So, what to do?

Also, when I click "Configure/ Waterfall drive", no slider setting window pops up. What to do here?

Any DigiPan helpers out there?

73 and thanks,

Jeff
KE8APS

K7MEM

I don't recall ever actually reading the setup instructions for DigiPan. I set it up and used it, but I didn't bother with reading the instructions. So I had to look it up to see what you were talking about.

I use a home brew interface, but I have used Digipan and a few other PSK31 programs. I have also used Fldigi, DM780, and Airlink Express, with the same interface.

What OS are you using? My guess is that your are using Windows 7. With DigiPan, when you select "Configure/Waterfall drive", it is suppose to open up the windows input volume control. However, it seems that feature doesn't work with Windows 7. I am pretty sure it works with XP. The same holds true for "Configure/Transmitter Drive". You should be able to open up your "Volume Mixer" manually and set the input volume. I just use the little speaker icon at the bottom of my screen to set the input and output volumes. Some users have had trouble with the output volume going to zero when you change bands. I have not experienced that issue.

I believe the "Dual Channel" mode was added in version 1.5, but then replaced with the "Multichannel" mode in version 2.0. I think they just forgot to change the instructions. The "Multichannel" mode is nicer than the "Dual Channel" mode. The "Multichannel" mode monitors all of the signals in the pass band. If you are familiar with DM780 (part of Ham Radio Deluxe), it is equivalent to their Super Browser.

Martin - K7MEM

p.s. Oh yea, 10 meters is hopping with PSK31 right now.

Last edited:

K1JWJ

Yes

I don't recall ever actually reading the setup instructions for DigiPan. I set it up and used it, but I didn't bother with reading the instructions. So I had to look it up to see what you were talking about.

I use a home brew interface, but I have used Digipan and a few other PSK31 programs. I have also used Fldigi, DM780, and Airlink Express, with the same interface.

What OS are you using? My guess is that your are using Windows 7. With DigiPan, when you select "Configure/Waterfall drive", it is suppose to open up the windows input volume control. However, it seems that feature doesn't work with Windows 7. I am pretty sure it works with XP. The same holds true for "Configure/Transmitter Drive". You should be able to open up your "Volume Mixer" manually and set the input volume. I just use the little speaker icon at the bottom of my screen to set the input and output volumes. Some users have had trouble with the output volume going to zero when you change bands. I have not experienced that issue.

I believe the "Dual Channel" mode was added in version 1.5, but then replaced with the "Multichannel" mode in version 2.0. I think they just forgot to change the instructions. The "Multichannel" mode is nicer than the "Dual Channel" mode. The "Multichannel" mode monitors all of the signals in the pass band. If you are familiar with DM780 (part of Ham Radio Deluxe), it is equivalent to their Super Browser.

Martin - K7MEM

p.s. Oh yea, 10 meters is hopping with PSK31 right now.

Martin,

Yes, WIN 7.
Think I have it working a bit. I can actually read the text when I move the cursor to a signal on the waterfall. However, I do not yet have my macros set up.

And so, when I attempted to respond to a CQ on 20M by typing and then hitting the TX button. It sent, but it seemed forever for the radio to stop transmitting. Have to figure that one out.

The multi channel decoding seem to type gibberish on many of the lines. But, where there was a visible signal, it decoded well.

Did not recognize many PSK signals on my waterfall and one of them was about 2" wide.

Looks fun though. I'll get back to it soon (like tomorrow, hopefully).

Thanks and 73

Jeff
KE8APS

I'll keep playing at it and hopefully get it fully figured out.

K7MEM

Yes, WIN 7.
Think I have it working a bit. I can actually read the text when I move the cursor to a signal on the waterfall. However, I do not yet have my macros set up.

And so, when I attempted to respond to a CQ on 20M by typing and then hitting the TX button. It sent, but it seemed forever for the radio to stop transmitting. Have to figure that one out.

If you hit the TX button, DigiPan will put your transmitter in the transmit mode and start transmitting, even if you have nothing in the transmit window. PSK31 is a amplitude- and phase-modulated waveform that is continuous. This means that, even though there are no characters to encode, you will be transmitting at full output power. You can often see this in the waterfall when the transmitting station forgets to put a <RX> command at the end of their macro. In the waterfall it looks like railroad tracks, with nothing in between. Effectively, the transmitter is just idling, waiting for characters to encode.

This is common to see with new PSK31 users. You know that, in the background, they are scrambling around trying to figure out how to turn off transmit.

This is also one of the reasons for keeping your output power low (20-25W). Some transmitters my overheat on long transmissions, if you run full power. PSK31 is very efficient and narrow banded, making it suitable for low-power and crowded-band operation.

The multi-channel decoding seem to type gibberish on many of the lines. But, where there was a visible signal, it decoded well.

Did not recognize many PSK signals on my waterfall and one of them was about 2" wide.

Looks fun though. I'll get back to it soon (like tomorrow, hopefully).

Thanks and 73

Jeff
KE8APS

I'll keep playing at it and hopefully get it fully figured out.

If you want to see a lot of signals, probably 20 meters is the best band. On the other bands you just have to wait for the propagation to be good. When propagation is good, 15 meters will get you a lot of DX.

Yes, you can get a lot of gibberish in the multi-channel window. If you get too much, you might want to reduce the audio from your transceiver or set the "Squelch Threshold" higher, under "Options".

A nice feature is being able to configure the Multichannel entries to change color, based on the content of the entry. You can access the settings under "Configure/Colors/Multichannel Coloring Effect". I have mine set to turn the entry Green if a CQ is detected. If my call sign is in one of the entries, it means someone is calling me and turns the line background to Orange.

Saying that a signal is 2" wide doesn't tell me much. I don't know what kind of display device you are using. It's usually better to specify the width in KHz, which can be read right off the waterfall display.

A signal can be wide for a variety of reasons. The most common reason is that it is not a PSK31 signal. It could be a PSK63 or a PSK128 signal. All are perfectly legal to use. But when you are in the PSK31 mode, you won't be able to decode them. A wide signal can also be created by driving your transmitter too hard. Too much input signal may cause distortion that shows up as extra sidebands. A signal that overloads your receiver can also look very wide.

Martin - K7MEM

Status
Not open for further replies.