Using FLDIGI with a USB dongle; possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone here successfully used FLDIGI with a USB dongle (or AirSpy) and an up-converter to decode amateur modes such as PSK31? What audio in and out settings did you use? I just want to monitor PSK31 at this point.

I did try FLDIGI using a CommRadio CR-1a and the PC sound card; it seemed to work but I was wondering if a USB dongle (or AirSpy) would provide different results.

N2AL

I am not sure my experience with FLDIGI is relevant, but if it is let me know and I will try to help you. I have never used AirSpy, but I have used SignaLink USB and an audio cable from my Yaesu Fat-857D to my MacBook Pro.

On the SignaLink I used the USB CODEC setting for the audio in settings.

On the audio cable I made I just used microphone in and microphone out for the audio settings.

I have successfully used FLDIGI with both these setups for PSK and other modes of contact around the world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Unfortunately the Signalink is not a USB Dongle - it is an interface that feeds a soundcard...A SDR dongle is a whole 'nother animal...

TigerTronics Home Page

Such dongles include the Funcube Dongle Pro v2.0, SDRStick and the RTL-SDR with an appropriate up-converter (or one built into the board itself - there are a few like this, some of which are linked in the article below...)

RTL-SDR-the RR Wiki

It certainly is possible - most likely you would need software like Virtual Audio Cable to get the data from the dongle to the PC.

Since you didn't mention which dongle you were looking at, this article by Nils DK8OK is on using the Funcube Dongle on various modes (it's a PDF). There are a couple of errors in the article, but you get the idea that it can be done. There'ss a wide assortment of modes and software that are mentioned here, including using FLDigi on Olivia and MFSK16 (not PSK31, yes, but the concept is the same here)

http://ratzer.at/pdf/Funcube2_DK8OK.pdf

These dongles are also prone to overloading (particularly from AM and FM stations in urban areas) due to rather limited (if it exists at all) filtering (as I've been reading in the various forums and blogs). For a quick portable solution with a laptop (it's even been done with a tablet- see the RTL-SDR Blog) they work, but keep in mind the various limitations with such a setup

Mike

Last edited:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The SignaLink USB does, in fact, include a USB sound card. No additional sound card required.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I think the SignalLink USB is overkill for what I want to do, which is monitor only.

I did try a NooElec R820T and Virtual Audio cable, but with negative results. My setup may have not been configured properly. My only success was with a CommRadio CR-1a connected to the PC sound card.

KE5MC

Playing with a FunCube and digital decode program (DSD+) I can see a couple of places that configuration can be an issue. Do you have any indication that the decode program is getting audio?

1. I and Q signals may need to be reversed. Usually noticed when the signal moves the opposite direction to your frequency change.

2. Receiving signal in the wrong side band.

3. Audio level overload via RF or AF gain.

4. VAC setup. I use the default setup for a paid version I needed when I had a Flex radio. Flex setup needed some tinkering, but the default seems to work fine for DSD+.

I think the SignalLink USB is overkill for what I want to do, which is monitor only.

I did try a NooElec R820T and Virtual Audio cable, but with negative results. My setup may have not been configured properly. My only success was with a CommRadio CR-1a connected to the PC sound card.

skamran

Fldigi with USB

You may want to look at Easy Digi (Easy Digi: Parts & Accessories | eBay). You can just buy the board for $10 or go with the other options. Clifford, KF5INZ, who makes these in Texas can customize the unit for your specific HT.

I bought one this week and am using it with fldigi on a Mac with a Baofeng UV82.

Kamran

Status
Not open for further replies.