Found inexpensive dual-bander for APRS, Packet, Doppler: JT-6188

Status
Not open for further replies.

N8RDF

(vanity call, "Radio Direction Finder")
Premium Subscriber
I just got this ~$100 dual-bander, the Juentai JT-6188. Compact, 25W VHF/20W UHF, nice backlit DTMF MIC, PC programmable (cable extra $). You'll have to mod it for RJ45 MIC external receive audio (easy!) or external speaker (almost as easy!). I haven't run it much yet, but both my RDF doppler and APRS seem to work great. I'm impressed with the audio and overall quality, especially at this price. For details on the mods, check my posts on the thread
budget-entry-level-transceivers/313600-another-new-chinese-dual-bander-radio-2.html
or search for my call on youtube.

Gary, N8RDF

Attachments

• Packet.jpg
    Packet.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 1,312

N8RDF

(vanity call, "Radio Direction Finder")
Premium Subscriber
Hi Ken(?),
- I haven't heard anything on the discriminator tap point and haven't been able to investigate further
- Yes, I did both the External Speaker and Mic Jack audio mods, more details in the
budget-entry-level-transceivers/313600-another-new-chinese-dual-bander-radio-2.html thread or on youtube (search for my call)
- Yes, dual receive can be turned on & off ("TDR" function, menu item #0 in the manual)

Gary N8RDF

prerunner1982

It even has a button to call your MOM.

Did you get discriminator audio on the mic jack, or speaker audio? Also, does it do dual receive?

Hi Ken(?),
- I haven't heard anything on the discriminator tap point and haven't been able to investigate further
- Yes, I did both the External Speaker and Mic Jack audio mods, more details in the
budget-entry-level-transceivers/313600-another-new-chinese-dual-bander-radio-2.html thread or on youtube (search for my call)
- Yes, dual receive can be turned on & off ("TDR" function, menu item #0 in the manual)

Gary N8RDF

If it's like the Baofeng which this greatly resembles a mobile version, then it doesn't really dual receive, well at least not simultaneously. It's a single receiver that flip flops between frequencies, referred to as Dual Watch.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
If it's like the Baofeng which this greatly resembles a mobile version, then it doesn't really dual receive, well at least not simultaneously. It's a single receiver that flip flops between frequencies, referred to as Dual Watch.

Yes, does it do dual receive or dual watch OP? I doubt it does dual watch at that price point. But lets hope I'm wrong. Looks interesting.

prerunner1982

Yes, does it do dual receive or dual watch OP? I doubt it does dual watch at that price point. But lets hope I'm wrong. Looks interesting.

You want dual receive... as dual watch is where it only does one at a time and just jumps back and forth like the baofeng.

Dual receive is that is receives two frequencies simultaneously... which is not likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.