EchoLink & Morse Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harlock

Does anyone know where I can find more info, or can explain to me, how I can transmit morse via the EchoLink App? Is this even possible with the iOS version? If not, is it possible to do this with the Mac or Windows version? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

-H-

nd5y

You can't. EchoLink doesn't support CW. It wasn't designed for it.
You would have to use something to generate on/off audio tones and feed it into your mic or or audio source that EchoLink could use, then you would need a way to send the PTT signal to EchoLink.
Why would you want to to that in the first place?

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
What's the deal with CW now I see every where hams want to do CW now read that more hams are doing CW more than ever now,before it was CW that was stopping people from becoming hams maybe FCC should bring back the code ...........

Harlock

Stick to the code

Thanks for the replies. EchoLink, and everything HAM is relatively new to me, so I wasn't sure what the possibilities for CW with EchoLink were. I'll have to check out a setup like that, otherwise I'll need to use good old fashion hardware.

I'd like to broadcast CW on EchoLink because I've come across a few others on the repeaters doing CW only. Naturally, they can be using hardware, but I'd like to converse in that form if possible.

I think they should still include CW in the test. I'm learning CW to get the full experience, and as a musician there are some interesting pleasures and challenges with broadcasting & listening to CW.

-H-

nd5y

You can't "broadcast" on EchoLink.
You can only connect to other individual nodes or conference servers that can have multiple nodes connected. 99% of the users would not appreciate somebody connecting and sending CW or some other digital signal, especially on a conference with lots of people and repeaters connected.

If you are wanting to work CW on the internet you might check out HamSphere - Virtual Ham Radio

Are you sure the CW you hear on repeaters isn't just the automatic identifier?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Thread moved to the Amateur Radio Data Transmissions forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

N8OHU

What's the deal with CW now I see every where hams want to do CW now read that more hams are doing CW more than ever now,before it was CW that was stopping people from becoming hams maybe FCC should bring back the code ...........

Part of the reason it was used as a licensing requirement for so long is that it was required by international regulation for operation on HF; once that was eliminated, it didn't make sense to keep the requirement since a lot of hams never used it again after getting their licenses and upgrading. Those of us that don't use it either have never been able to learn it (I've tried for years to do so) or simply have no interest in the mode. People that do use it, including those that learned it after getting their license, chose to do so.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Folks, this is not a thread about Morse code proficiency and amateur radio license requirements. Please keep your posts on topic with the OP's question.

Harlock

EchoLink & CW

Tom (nd5y) -

Could be that it was a CW message stating the repeater name. Being new to this, I wasn't aware that was a common practice until this past weekend.

I'm thinking that a key, practice speaker, and placing my iPhone near the speaker when transmitting will be the easiest solution.

I agree with what others have said, and wouldn't want to upset anyone on a repeater. I'm sensitive to things like that myself, so I'd be pretty conscious of others. Not everyone likes the sound of CW - haha!

-H-

khooke

If you're looking for a way to practice CW over the internet there is (or at least was several months when I came across it) a group that does CW over skype I believe, and they run regular skeds for practice. If I can find the link in my bookmarks I'll post it.

Edit: here you go, this is what I was thinking of: http://internetcw.weebly.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.