Kenwood: Interface Connection Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgestl

Premium Subscriber
Newbie here. Considering using my Kenwood TS140-s to decode digital modes using Ham Radio Deluxe and SignaLink interface. I see the SignaLink requires a USB connection. The rig has the RS232 interface for control requiring a USB interface cable to the PC. So I will have 2 USB connections to the PC to make this work? Can HRD capture data from the SignaLink and control the rig each from different ports?

K7MEM

The Signalink USB requires a USB connection, because it is effectively a external sound blaster interface. This interface handles the audio in/out from your rig. I believe on your TS-140S you would need to access the rear ACC2 connector. That connector has all of the audio and PTT signals necessary. It is also possible to go through the microphone connector, but that is not as efficient and for another discussion.

For rig control you will need to go in through your rigs RS-232 connector. I believe that is the IF-10c option for the TS-140S. If your computer does not have a RS-232 interface, you will need a USB to Serial Port Interface cable. Be a little careful when purchasing this cable. It should specify a "Prolific" chip. Cheaper interface cables will drop the connection and cause problems. One of the cables that I use is USB to RS232 Converter Cable 1.0 meter - UMC-201. I have others, but that is the one I am using with my IC-735.

I use a home brew interface with my HP G62 laptop (Windows 7) and I use HRD. My rig control interface (RS-232 to CIV) is also home brew. So on my laptop, I use two USB connections plus the audio input and audio output. I use the internal sound card, but you will need to configure HRD to use the Signalink sound card. It should be pretty obvious when you are initially configuring HRD.

Be careful of some of the settings. For example, muting the speakers for your internal speakers, can also mute the output of external sound card. If you are transmitting, make sure you turn off all of the system sounds, like "you have mail". Otherwise they can be transmitted along with your digital signal. And, if your PC has a internal microphone, turn it off. Otherwise you could transmit the dog barking as well.

Keep your transmitting power reduced. Most digital modes are continuous and can overheat your transmitter on long transmissions. But digital modes do not need a lot of power. I have used between 1 and 25 watts and get all over the world. For initial testing, tune your radio to 14.070 MHZ USB. That area is active almost all the time and good for testing.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The key point here is that the SignaLink USB does not control the radio. It's just a two-way USB sound card with a VOX-based keying interface for the radio's PTT.

The TS-140 does not have an RS-232 connection, but it does have a radio interface connection that uses 5 volt TTL signals. Back in the day, Kenwood sold a computer interface for this radio called the IF-10C. If you don't have that interface, you'll need to buy or build one using information from the Internet. There are USB radio control cables for the TS-140 that combine the 5 volt TTL converter with the USB plug for your computer.

Here's a link to a converter you can build using an FTDI break-out board:

http://people.wallawalla.edu/~Rob.Frohne/SDR/USB Interface/IF-232 USB Replacement.html

I'm finding similar cables pre-made from eBay sellers.

USB-to-RS232 converters that use the Prolific chip set, or clones of the Prolific chip set, seem to be at the root of many problems with computer-to-radio interfaces. The conventional wisdom is that the FTDI chips seem to work better.

Last edited:

cgestl

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for clarifying the connections. Rig control and data decode are separate processes requiring separate connections. Makes sense.
The Kenwood TS140S has the Piexx converter, so that should work for the rig control using a USB to Serial converter cable, with the Prolific chip sets. Good suggestions to help me get started.

Also thanks for moving this thread to the correct forum.
N9AFR

Status
Not open for further replies.