Interested in RTTY

Status
Not open for further replies.

miserytom

So with my tech ticket I have a small space in the 10m band for CW (trying to learn) and RTTY , in the car I have a TYT 9800 quad band , anyone know if there is any setup I can get/build to try out RTTY ? , or should I even bother?

jim202

So with my tech ticket I have a small space in the 10m band for CW (trying to learn) and RTTY , in the car I have a TYT 9800 quad band , anyone know if there is any setup I can get/build to try out RTTY ? , or should I even bother?

Unless you stumble onto a couple of local hams playing on one of those 4 bands with RTTY, I don't think you will hear any transmissions using that mode. You may find some packet activity on 2 meters, but I wouldn't expect it to be a whole lot. Not all areas of the country are active even on the packet mode.

You would do much better looking on the HF frequencies for RTTY activity. You should be able to find some around the 40 meter segment of the HF frequencies. Might even find some commercial HF RTTY activity as you hunt around there.

I would not try using anything but voice from a vehicle. It wouldn't be safe while driving as you would have to look at a computer screen. Many local and state regulations have laws about computers available for the driver to use and limit it's use.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I believe your TYT radio transmits in FM only. For RTTY, you need a radio that transmits FSK or SSB (with an FSK audio signal coming from a sound card).

BTW, the 10m RTTY Contest is coming up on December 6.

miserytom

I would not try using anything but voice from a vehicle. It wouldn't be safe while driving as you would have to look at a computer screen. Many local and state regulations have laws about computers available for the driver to use and limit it's use.

Of course I wouldn't be driving at the time , that wouldn't be very smart lol

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Tom I think you will find that there are many modes that may sound like Baudot RTTY, but in fact aren't. You can check out this article from our wiki, which gives you something of a thumbnail introduction into the ham digital world. You will quickly learn that there are many modes besides Baudot that hams use, and each has their own following. PSK31 is immensely popular, for example, and there's a plethoria of software - some free - for this mode.

Digital Amateur Radio - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.