APRS problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkdraft

Chillicothe, Texas and Bella Vista, Arkansas
New to ham radio. I installed a Kenwood D710GA radio. I found several text files and several youtube videos on how to set up this radio for APRS, they were all pretty much same thing and I followed them to the "T", but for some reason it does not show up on aprs.fi Reading I "assume" my radio needs to talk to a igate radio, and maybe thats my problem as I live kinda out in the middle of nowhere. I found one map that is supposed to show igate recievers, but it is not user friendly and I could not determine where the closest igate is. Is this most likely my problem? I live in Chillicothe, Texas 79225.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Likely you are correct you are not heard by an igate to get into the data base. Another possibility is your radio is setup correctly but is not transmitting a beacon or your power is too low or you need a better antenna.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Try a better antenna.
Try driving somewhere that you know has coverage. Check the aprs.fi website and see where other people are showing up in your area.
Do you actually see your radio sending out a beacon?
Are you hearing any traffic on 144.39?

Here's a somewhat old map showing Texas APRS "holes" in coverage:
http://www.aprs.org/maps/holes-TX.JPG

Are you using Wide2-2 or Wide3-3? Local to me some have started blocking 3-3 as it was causing too much traffic on some systems.

You don't need to be able to reach and iGate, just a digipeter. The digipeter will forward your beacon on to an iGate.

If you find a location that has coverage, maybe you could install your own digipeter. That would probably help others in your area.

***apologies if my terminology is a bit dated. It's been 5 or 6 years since I last did APRS...

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Change wise2-1 to wide2-2 (it'll hop twice before being dropped). I usually run 2-2 or 2-3 in West Texas. 3-2 if I'm around good wide area digis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
If the digipeaters in the area are configured correctly, "WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1" will result in two hops. Even high level digipeaters should act on a "WIDE1-1".

K1JEG does not appear in the APRS-IS database. He's not hitting an i-Gate.

BTDT, some tips -

I had the same issue.

Some background - I was doing APRS a while back in the Midwest, but lost interest, moved, and wasn't necessarily interested in it where I am now. Then one of my kids let her car get stolen. She left her keys (and other items) in her (my) car and it was taken. Since the thieves now had a chip key for another vehicle, they came back a year later and drove another one out of my driveway at 3 AM.

Okay, so now I got interested in APRS.

I'm looking around for equipment. The first time I did it, I used a TNC, a mobile radio, a GPS with NMEA adapter, etc. Too much stuff! So I found a one-way tracking device manufacturer who had an easily concealed device with a little GPS antenna. I made a 2 meter groundplane out of alarm tape on the back window of the car and added a relay to know when the ignition was on and off. All kinds of wonderful things happened while I was away, and now there's an entire world of connectivity for APRS. Sweet!

Except for one thing: I've got an investment in all this hidden hardware and nothing is showing up on the map.

Surely, I was in an area where other people were interested in this stuff. Right? Nope.

I met another guy who messed around with APRS by hanging a whip out his window, and, according to the map, he could hear stations about a mile or so away, but nothing more. I offered to go team up with him to do something better, but he was interested in what he was interested in. So, I pretty much had to make my own IGATE.

Requirements for the IGATE:
Single-purpose 2 meter radio with power supply
Single-purpose 2 meter antenna with cables, grounding, etc.
Single-purpose computer (my "IGATE server")
Single-purpose TNC
An "always up" Internet connection.

All of this stuff is ONLY going to be used to support the IGATE. If you change any of it, it'll take down your ability to push data to (or pull data from) the network. Might as well put it on a high shelf or in a locked, ventilated cabinet and check on it once in a while.

I also got some ancillary stuff, like UPS for the computer equipment and batteries for everything else.

Now for software. There are a few you can use. I used XASTIR and Linux. I also had to generate a key to upload information into the APRS-IS. It was a little more than I bargained for, but hey, it was a great learning experience (and I'm happy that I might be able to help you through it now).

Finally, my stuff was up and I was tracking my cars up and down the map like a James Bond movie. Woot!

Other issues that I had to contend with (these are controversial within the APRS community): 1.2 kpbs is excruciatingly slow and transmissions are asynchronous (ALOHA) with lots of collisions, especially the higher the base antenna. I have several networks of beaconing digipeaters from three surrounding metropolitan areas that are absolute airtime pigs. The trustees weren't interested in conserving airtime and I refused to contribute to the clutter. I put my station into receive only. That seems to be a faux pas within the community, as now my users (I got a user-base most of whom I never met or had any dialogue with) could not use the network as a kind of a bidirectional mobile data terminal (again, 1.2 kbps is not how you want to implement an MDT system). I was only in this for positioning. All of these things are controversial and a matter of debate - which I absolutely want to avoid here - just be aware if you get this far.

One more thing: APRSdroid. If you configure it with your key, you can use the APRS-IS to follow yourself around with your Android cell phone. Yeah, it's cheating, but still.

Best of luck and I'm willing to help you if I can. Use the "send email" feature if you'd like to contact me.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I had the same issue.

Some background - I was doing APRS a while back in the Midwest, but lost interest, moved, and wasn't necessarily interested in it where I am now. Then one of my kids let her car get stolen. She left her keys (and other items) in her (my) car and it was taken. Since the thieves now had a chip key for another vehicle, they came back a year later and drove another one out of my driveway at 3 AM.

Okay, so now I got interested in APRS.

I'm looking around for equipment. The first time I did it, I used a TNC, a mobile radio, a GPS with NMEA adapter, etc. Too much stuff! So I found a one-way tracking device manufacturer who had an easily concealed device with a little GPS antenna. I made a 2 meter groundplane out of alarm tape on the back window of the car and added a relay to know when the ignition was on and off. All kinds of wonderful things happened while I was away, and now there's an entire world of connectivity for APRS. Sweet!

Except for one thing: I've got an investment in all this hidden hardware and nothing is showing up on the map.

Surely, I was in an area where other people were interested in this stuff. Right? Nope.

I met another guy who messed around with APRS by hanging a whip out his window, and, according to the map, he could hear stations about a mile or so away, but nothing more. I offered to go team up with him to do something better, but he was interested in what he was interested in. So, I pretty much had to make my own IGATE.

Requirements for the IGATE:

Single-purpose 2 meter radio with power supply

Single-purpose 2 meter antenna with cables, grounding, etc.

Single-purpose computer (my "IGATE server")

Single-purpose TNC

An "always up" Internet connection.

All of this stuff is ONLY going to be used to support the IGATE. If you change any of it, it'll take down your ability to push data to (or pull data from) the network. Might as well put it on a high shelf or in a locked, ventilated cabinet and check on it once in a while.

I also got some ancillary stuff, like UPS for the computer equipment and batteries for everything else.

Now for software. There are a few you can use. I used XASTIR and Linux. I also had to generate a key to upload information into the APRS-IS. It was a little more than I bargained for, but hey, it was a great learning experience (and I'm happy that I might be able to help you through it now).

Finally, my stuff was up and I was tracking my cars up and down the map like a James Bond movie. Woot!

Other issues that I had to contend with (these are controversial within the APRS community): 1.2 kpbs is excruciatingly slow and transmissions are asynchronous (ALOHA) with lots of collisions, especially the higher the base antenna. I have several networks of beaconing digipeaters from three surrounding metropolitan areas that are absolute airtime pigs. The trustees weren't interested in conserving airtime and I refused to contribute to the clutter. I put my station into receive only. That seems to be a faux pas within the community, as now my users (I got a user-base most of whom I never met or had any dialogue with) could not use the network as a kind of a bidirectional mobile data terminal (again, 1.2 kbps is not how you want to implement an MDT system). I was only in this for positioning. All of these things are controversial and a matter of debate - which I absolutely want to avoid here - just be aware if you get this far.

One more thing: APRSdroid. If you configure it with your key, you can use the APRS-IS to follow yourself around with your Android cell phone. Yeah, it's cheating, but still.

Best of luck and I'm willing to help you if I can. Use the "send email" feature if you'd like to contact me.

I had a much simpler I-GATE setup. Used an RTL dongle and a raspberry pi (don't like the idea of I-GATEs having the ability to pull info off the network).

I had a much simpler I-GATE setup. Used an RTL dongle and a raspberry pi (don't like the idea of I-GATEs having the ability to pull info off the network).

I'd love to see that! I have a 2 meter repeater co-located with the IGATE receiver (a Motorola GM300). I would probably need to put a preselector on a dongle receiver.

kd7mxi

paths that work

I'm finding 2-1 . 2-2 - etc don't get through on first hop / 1-1 , then add one of them or digi of chosing works best ,,,, only digi callsighn first if its the one your trying to key up and is hearing you ,,, 1-1 works like the old relay command as far as I understand

Last edited:

kd7mxi

hills / buildings/ etc I find my radio is blind /// spotty on hitting even with good mobile antennae since most digis are in homes etc ,, laughlin/bullhead city az and oatman az ,,,, full power vx-8g

bkdraft

Chillicothe, Texas and Bella Vista, Arkansas
Its really been hit and miss around here. I know have two radios running APRS. Once in a while the Walsh Mtn will pick one or the other up, but last week or so, nothing. I do recieved a lot of stuff off that APRS, but neither of mine show up very often on the map. Headed to Arkansas next week and will see how that trip does. Guess I will have to break down and inverst in iGate setup here at the house if I want it to be reliable around here.

At the risk of sounding like, "Ehhhh!!! GET OFF MY LAWN!!!" I'm finding digis to be problematic. Where I currently live, I am within base station range of three metropolitan areas. There are digis in each of the three and there is so much overhead base station broadcast traffic that position reports are often blocked by beaconing of one form or another. One system has something like 13 digis throughout the county that ID at various intervals. While it's superb that whomever's doing that gets that level of support from their county, the beaconing is a superb PITA. I can go into aprs.fi and see the speed bumps of all of the base stations on a predictable basis. Now, these aren't IGATES, these are digis. There seem to be only a handful of actual IGATES.

I had a Byonics tracker set to beacon at a certain interval (which some people consider a "Bozo no-no," but whatever...) and demonstrated a significant amount of blocking from all the overhead traffic. Add to that, some folks who find it necessary to beacon certain stationary objects (which have munged coordinates, so they don't appear in the right places on the maps), and the air time availability for blazing (for a turtle) 1.2 kbps is just poor. The better the receive is, the worse the base station broadcast interference.

Wish "the powers that be" within APRS had a dedicated mobile-only frequency, or these things just beaconed once an hour instead of every 10 minutes.

kd7mxi

At the risk of sounding like, "Ehhhh!!! GET OFF MY LAWN!!!" I'm finding digis to be problematic. Where I currently live, I am within base station range of three metropolitan areas. There are digis in each of the three and there is so much overhead base station broadcast traffic that position reports are often blocked by beaconing of one form or another. One system has something like 13 digis throughout the county that ID at various intervals. While it's superb that whomever's doing that gets that level of support from their county, the beaconing is a superb PITA. I can go into aprs.fi and see the speed bumps of all of the base stations on a predictable basis. Now, these aren't IGATES, these are digis. There seem to be only a handful of actual IGATES.

I had a Byonics tracker set to beacon at a certain interval (which some people consider a "Bozo no-no," but whatever...) and demonstrated a significant amount of blocking from all the overhead traffic. Add to that, some folks who find it necessary to beacon certain stationary objects (which have munged coordinates, so they don't appear in the right places on the maps), and the air time availability for blazing (for a turtle) 1.2 kbps is just poor. The better the receive is, the worse the base station broadcast interference.

Wish "the powers that be" within APRS had a dedicated mobile-only frequency, or these things just beaconed once an hour instead of every 10 minutes.

try using your filters ... only have e station on , then go from there ,,

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Filters won't help fix a digipeater that's repeating, or generating, superfluous beacons. Every second that a digipeater is transmitting repetitive or unecessary beacons, it's not hearing some low-powered tracker that really needs the help of a high-profile digipeater.

It starts with education. The local APRS community really needs to help educate those who abuse the system and encourage them to be more mindful of the fact that 144.390 MHz is a shared frequency.

Filters won't help fix a digipeater that's repeating, or generating, superfluous beacons. Every second that a digipeater is transmitting repetitive or unecessary beacons, it's not hearing some low-powered tracker that really needs the help of a high-profile digipeater.

It starts with education. The local APRS community really needs to help educate those who abuse the system and encourage them to be more mindful of the fact that 144.390 MHz is a shared frequency.
I got into APRS because my kid's car got stolen. I always had kind of an interest in it, and worked with it in the Midwest about 17 years ago when there was no practical networking APRS-IS. So, I looked at it as a solution to a problem and kind of took the crash course. There was a time I read every piece of traffic on the Yahoogroup that was sent (I don't anymore). Bob B. seemed to have made a statement about APRS being more of a mobile messaging and local information platform and (if I remember right) was kind of menaced by one-way trackers.

I suppose one has to weigh the value of a Digi vs. an IGATE. When I started playing around with APRS, I thought for sure that "Oh, this is a pretty progressive area. Someone has to have one of these things up." And, that wasn't the case at all. The other fellow who was interested in it was actually worse off than me because he lived in an apartment. I made a faulty assumption. So we worked together to first put mine up on the house, then put his up at his apartment (a whip out the window) to fill in a coverage hole. If we put up Digis, the closest IGATE was maybe 35 miles away. So, we could have either repeated everything (and doubled up on the duty cycle), or just send it through to the APRS-IS and try to not need the positioning packets repeated. At first, I turned down my transmitter to 5 W (it was 100), and then I just disconnected it completely and now have a Hamtronics receiver hanging off my 2 meter repeater duplexer (my input and the APRS frequency are 120 kHz apart and with a little crafty tuning, I've got adequate isolation).

My takeaway is that sometimes one has to be the first one in the area to take the initiative. The other stuff is frustrating, but I can't effect a change, so I'm just not going to worry about them.

What I'd really like to do is try messing with 19.2 kbps trackers and mobile data. There should be a whole lot of room for overhead traffic on a network like that, especially if its paired. We could have the best of all worlds, then. Positioning, local information, and various messaging applications. Maybe when I retire :)

Status
Not open for further replies.