2 meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
Besides voice what can I do on 2 meter? Ive looked online and theres alot of sites out there. If I want to do digital and cw on 2m what software or set up should I be using.

ab5r

Your question made me go to my ARRL Repeater Directory and the suggested spectrum usage for 144-148 Mhz. Of course, these are just recommendations, but I am sure you would want to steer clear from repeater inputs and outputs for CW of digital usage. There is a "Miscellaneous & experimental mode" section set aside for 145.50-145.80, but depending upon your location, simplex could be used most anywhere. I once experimented on simplex with slow scan TV, but only once. And, local APRS is basically a digital mode. 2 meter SSB is popular too. Truthfully, I don't have an answer.

I might add that I know that there is D-Star digital repeater in Dallas, TX. There probably are more.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Because of distance and propagation, what you can do on 2m will vary depending on your location.

APRS is a very popular data mode that uses 2m almost exclusively.

Some areas have regular AX.25 packet activity on 2m.

Some areas have regular SSB activity on 2m.

Some of the satellites and the station on the International Space Station use 2m.

Those are the most common uses of 2m that I can think of.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
SSB and CW are quite popular. Under the right conditions, you can do some very long haul stuff there without the need for a repeater. We have some SSB locals that are playing with PSK.

And if you really want to do something exotic, you can bounce 2 meter signals off the moon and back. It's called EME (Earth moon Earth) communications. W7GJ 2m EME Tips.

KD8DVR

SSTV works great on 2 meter FM. Also, regular packet is still active in some areas (not that APRS stuff)

K3DRQ

Premium Subscriber
Besides voice what can I do on 2 meter? Ive looked online and theres alot of sites out there. If I want to do digital and cw on 2m what software or set up should I be using.

Most of the newer HF rigs go all the way up to 6m, 2m, or even 440 (at least my Icom IC-7000 does). You can transmit with a key(er) in regular CW mode, and if you have a Signalink you can send digimodes or computer MCW.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Of course you need to have someone else using whatever mode to communicate with... :wink:

K3DRQ

Premium Subscriber
Of course you need to have someone else using whatever mode to communicate with... :wink:

Yep, I always wanted to have a non-MCW CW QSO on 2m, but it took me years before I had the equipment and even more years to arrange a sked.

If CW is what you're looking for, I suggest you check out the Sked page of SKCC (Straight Key Century Club):

obriensweb.com/sked and click "SKCC"

k9wkj

ive done cw,mcw,psk31,hellschrieber,sstv,rtty,packet aside from voice modes (ssb,am,fm)
its a hoot working aurora on cw and ssb
i have made ssb contacts from wisconsin to texas and all over every where else
2m is almost as fun as 6m !

Status
Not open for further replies.