APRSIS32 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainguy1997

I found a APRS program I am going to try which is APRSIS32. Do I need a GPS unit for it and how does it work between a radio and computer? Does the radio link to the computer and how does it link via a COM port, USB port, or the sound card? If a GPS unit is needed I plan on making my Toughbook CF30 it since I can add on the GPS unit for it(actually the whole thing is going to get a major overhaul soon between a new 1TB SSD, CD drive, more RAM, upgrade to Windows 7 from XP, and obviously the GPS unit and possibly add Microsoft Streets and maps). Thanks for the help and 73

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Are you going to be running APRSIS32 stationary or mobile? If stationary, you don't a GPS receiver since your position will be fixed. If base, you will need a GPS receiver that makes NMEA0183 sentences from the GPSr available to the program over a serial port (which could be virtual).

The interface between the radio and the computer is called a TNC or Terminal Node Controller. General purpose TNCs, like the Kantronics KPC3, can be expensive new, but affordable on the used market. APRS-specific TNCs, like the Argent Data OT3m or Byonics TinyTrak, are affordable and can operate stand-alone without the computer.

Another option is sound card packet engines like AGWPE.

I've been running APRSIS32 on various Windows laptops for several years. The learning curve is a little steep because there are lots of functions. But, it's a good program and the author still supports it through his Yahoo Group. There have been times when I've been sitting at net control for a public service event where we are using APRS and run into a problem with the program. I've posted my question to the Yahoo Group and gotten an answer from the author or other knowledgeable users within an hour.

Trainguy1997

Are you going to be running APRSIS32 stationary or mobile? If stationary, you don't a GPS receiver since your position will be fixed. If base, you will need a GPS receiver that makes NMEA0183 sentences from the GPSr available to the program over a serial port (which could be virtual).

The interface between the radio and the computer is called a TNC or Terminal Node Controller. General purpose TNCs, like the Kantronics KPC3, can be expensive new, but affordable on the used market. APRS-specific TNCs, like the Argent Data OT3m or Byonics TinyTrak, are affordable and can operate stand-alone without the computer.

Another option is sound card packet engines like AGWPE.

I've been running APRSIS32 on various Windows laptops for several years. The learning curve is a little steep because there are lots of functions. But, it's a good program and the author still supports it through his Yahoo Group. There have been times when I've been sitting at net control for a public service event where we are using APRS and run into a problem with the program. I've posted my question to the Yahoo Group and gotten an answer from the author or other knowledgeable users within an hour.

I only know computer basics but I will try to ask in a way I can understand....
First off...I want to make it both base and mobile so I know I need that TNC then. Where can I get a new TNC that is already assembled since I suck at soldering. Can you provide a link also?
Second...Will the GPS thing I am going to add to my Panasonic Toughbook CF30 do the NMEA0183 sentences or.....GAH THIS IS CONFUSING....I am lost now........................
Third.....the sound card thing has me lost now........

I am completely lost with all the new terms.................

Lets put it this way....I want to make it mobile. What do I need?

AK9R

Super Moderator
All of the TNCs I mentioned are available in completely assembled form.

As for links, Google is your friend:
Kantronics KPC3+
Argent Data OT3m
Byonics TinyTrak4

The GPS receiver will connect to the TNC. Both Argent Data and Byonics have suitable GPS receivers.

You will also need suitable cables to connect the TNC to your radio.

Another option which will eliminate all of the separate parts is to get a radio, TNC, and GPS receiver all in one package. The Kenwood TH-D72 (handheld) or TM-D710G (mobile) would be the ones to choose. Yaesu has APRS radios, too, but they do not allow full access to the TNC like the Kenwoods.

Trainguy1997

All of the TNCs I mentioned are available in completely assembled form.

As for links, Google is your friend:
Kantronics KPC3+
Argent Data OT3m
Byonics TinyTrak4

The GPS receiver will connect to the TNC. Both Argent Data and Byonics have suitable GPS receivers.

You will also need suitable cables to connect the TNC to your radio.

Another option which will eliminate all of the separate parts is to get a radio, TNC, and GPS receiver all in one package. The Kenwood TH-D72 (handheld) or TM-D710G (mobile) would be the ones to choose. Yaesu has APRS radios, too, but they do not allow full access to the TNC like the Kenwoods.
Before I decide to buy another radio where can I get a cable for a Yaesu FT2900R to connect to the tinytrak4?

AK9R

Super Moderator
Most of the APRS TNC vendors have radio cables. For example, there's a link on the Byonics TinyTrak4 pages to another page that lists their radio cables:

Byonics - TinyTrak3 GPS Position Encoder

Also, I neglected to mention RPC Electronics as a source for APRS TNCs. You can find them at: http://www.rpc-electronics.com/expresstracker.php

RPC Electronics also has radio cables.

BTW, all of the products I've mentioned throughout this thread are easily searchable in Google. It's not that I don't want to be helpful, but you gotta help yourself, too.

Trainguy1997

Most of the APRS TNC vendors have radio cables. For example, there's a link on the Byonics TinyTrak4 pages to another page that lists their radio cables:

Byonics - TinyTrak3 GPS Position Encoder

Also, I neglected to mention RPC Electronics as a source for APRS TNCs. You can find them at: http://www.rpc-electronics.com/expresstracker.php

RPC Electronics also has radio cables.

BTW, all of the products I've mentioned throughout this thread are easily searchable in Google. It's not that I don't want to be helpful, but you gotta help yourself, too.

Now I am completely lost. How the heck do I power the Tinytrak4.....its kind of pointless to use it if I cannot transmit without the microphone.........

Between summer school and work I am fried..........

AK9R

Super Moderator
Any TNC is going to require power from somewhere. Typically, I build a short wiring harness so that I can tap power for the TNC off of the power cable going to the radio. The exception to this is the Argent Data OT3m which can be powered from your computer through the USB port on the TNC.

While its possible to operate APRS and analog voice using the same radio, it's not very practical to keep switching not only the cables, but the frequency setting on the radio, back and forth. That's where APRS radios, such as the Kenwood TH-D72 or TM-D710G, have an advantage. They are dual-band radios so you can do voice one "side" of the radio and APRS on the other "side". That coupled with having the radio, TNC, and GPS receiver all in one convenient package. Yes, they are expensive (unless you buy used). But, they also eliminate a lot of headaches and hassle.

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
Any TNC is going to require power from somewhere. Typically, I build a short wiring harness so that I can tap power for the TNC off of the power cable going to the radio. The exception to this is the Argent Data OT3m which can be powered from your computer through the USB port on the TNC.

While its possible to operate APRS and analog voice using the same radio, it's not very practical to keep switching not only the cables, but the frequency setting on the radio, back and forth. That's where APRS radios, such as the Kenwood TH-D72 or TM-D710G, have an advantage. They are dual-band radios so you can do voice one "side" of the radio and APRS on the other "side". That coupled with having the radio, TNC, and GPS receiver all in one convenient package. Yes, they are expensive (unless you buy used). But, they also eliminate a lot of headaches and hassle.

What W9BU said... but most important, get your education! Radios can wait (said from a ham that just ordered a thousand dollars worth of peripherals, lol).

Status
Not open for further replies.