Yaesu: Current 2017 Signalink and Yaesu 857D How To?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davecason

Hi Folks,

I just bought a brand new Signalink USB to hook up to my also new (to me) Yeasu 857D ......

It's sort of alive (grin) but I can't actually find any good guides on the net that will walk me thru a step-by-step how-to. Does anyone have one or just some old notes or suggestions?

I've read Tiger's manual that came with the Signalink but it's outdated and not too clear and hasn't been updated since the XP and Vista days, plus its written for every rig out there but you can't fault them for that.

Likewise I've seen and read the Yeasu 857D's manual but its just for operation mostly I think, and the radio is brand new to me as well. I also saw NA4IT's guide but it's not much help when it says "Close up the Signalink USB, connect it to your computer, and follow the set up instructions in the manual." (grin)

I'm kinda shooten for more step-by-step instruction for newbies that I can document and then re-write a new guide from scratch......

Right now I have it receiving OK in DigiPan 2.0 but nothing for transmit side of things yet and I also want to get it going in DM780. I'm trying to figure out ALC setup on the radio with the Signalink right now.

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

Cheers'
Dave Cason
VE6DED

W2JMZ

Do you have cat control over your radio. That would be a big help for the transmit aspect. If you need assistance please feel free to contact me direct at w2jmz@arrl.net I'm even open to a phone call if needed after we touch base via email. I've been using a signalink and a 857d for my main set up for many months now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N2AL

I second what W2JMZ stated. Your Yaesu FT-857 needs to be enabled for CAT control. That allows the SignaLink to transmit and receive signals from your computer.

Side note the SignaLink is a fantastic device! I have used it for a few years now with great success!

k8krh

You need the cables from signal link, go directly to them tell them what you need and type of radio. your ALC is nr 37 I believe, turn it down to around 17-20, you don't want to see or very little of the bars showing, if you go to high and see whole line or half you will burn your finals up in no time. Signal link..NO DELAY, transmit around 10-11 oclock and receive 10-11 oclock.
Try FLDIGI it is free or multipsk, no use spending money until you get use to it..
DOCTOR 795.

davecason

well as of now I have ......

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies, so here's where I'm at - I got the 857 and hooked it up to my power supply I bought a YT100 tuner for it that and tossed the output of that to my DX-LB-PLUS dipole.

So far so good - now it's got a new CAT62 cable that's going to my PC running HRD on a demo license. (that software in itself has a bit of stuff to learn - grin)

- Tuesday I got my Signalink and it's now sitting on the other USB port on the PC with the radio cable plugged in to the data port on the 857.

- The jumper are set and the Signalink is happy I believe.

I did look at AN4IT's sheet on setting up the two but it's not that helpful:

Signalink USB / FT-857D

I did try his suggestion of setting both the Signalink's JP2 and 3 to on but I've since took them both back off. Also in his guide he says " follow the set up instructions in the manual." (grin) Not that helpful, hence my post here. I did look at the Yeasu manual on pages 37 and 38 so the mic gain is at 50% now and it's set for PSK31-L or -U for 20 and 40 M.

Where I'm stuck now at is this new "ALC" stuff. That's new thing for me and I've followed what they say but I guess my question is on the meter on the radio and what I'm supposed to be seeing when I try to adjust that setting.

So when I'm TX'ing from the PC - in this case using DigiPan I should be watching the meter and set the mic gain level to where I should only see 2 or 3 bars on the radio's meter - is that correct?

From the manual:

8. Following the instruction for your TNC's software, activate the transmitter fro the computer keyboard; this should cause the AFSK output from the TNC to be sent to the radio. While transmitting, view teh ALC meter; a few "dots" of ALC indication should be observed. If not, rotate the dial know to adjust teh AFSK level within the FT897D for 16 dots of indication on the ALC meter.
9. Press and hold in the FUNC key for one second to save the new AFSK level setting and return to normal operation.

So do I set it for seeing 2-3 dots or the entire meter scale?

The PC seems to be happy with the Signalink and it's levels so far.

I did glance at DM780 and started to cry so I since discovered K7AGE's YouTube video on receiving PSK31 and the radio is doing that in DigiPan and I did get it receiving PSK31 data on the screen in DigiPan so I think the levels for receiving on both the Signalink and the PC are good.

However that was in USB or LSB mode not DIG mode, I also have set the RF level in the radio to only 25 watts right now.

Cheers'
Dave Cason
VE6DED

k8krh

Go to the meter windiw in the ft 857 it shows mtr alc disp also middle shows swr pwr mod, just leave it on alc, as said just look for 1 or 2 notched no more. go to nr 37 and put at 17-18.
vox gain .1....mic gain ssb 28... 74 proc level 33... nr 40 dig vox 0...nr 39 dig shift ohz...dig mode user-u<very important>, nothing in lsb all usb... nr 37 dig gain 18 on my unit.
This setup works great on ALE, , PACTOR 3, ROBUST PACKET AND ALL DIGITAL MODES.
DOCTOR/795

P.S. I DO NOT USE CAT CONTROL..

davecason

a few details ...

Hi Doc,

Thanks for the reply! So yes, the meter is set for ALC that's all good.

What is nr37 and I set it for 17-18? Do you mean Menu 37 and so you're setting the gain to 17-18?
Yes OK got it !

What are the next 3? vox gain .1....mic gain ssb 28... 74 proc level 33... ??

So Menu 40 DIG VOX ... yes it is set for 0.

And Menu 39 DIG SHIFT ..... is also set for 0.

And you say use Menu 38 DIG MODE you always have it set as USER-U always!
OK, so why is that ..... if i go to 40 or 60 meter wouldn't I want to use PKS31-L in that case?
Just wondering .... so you're saying in most digital modes I can leave the radio in USER-U.

I haven't actually look at what USER-U or USER-L is yet in the radio .... but I will.

Actually I'm still looking for information on what modes you can run in digital and what the
procedures are to operate. I haven't found any one place on the web that explains all the
different modes and HOW to actually operate.

So far the best thing I've seen so far on the web is K7AGE's old videos from 2007 on PSK31 and those are now about 10 years old but they start with the basics which is a good thing for a newbie. (grin)

In watching the videos you get an idea of how to operate and make calls, etc. I haven't found anything else better yet but I'm still looking.

Thanks again for the help ..... I'm going to start a new how-to guide for my 857 and DMR and a Signalink and I'll put it up and maybe people can edit it up so its got better content.

Cheers'
Dave Cason
VE6DED

k8krh

ALL digital modes run in USB, I think it was more convenient for all these programs for the manufactures., Maybe someone else can answer this one.
Your right I meant MENU, I was probably in a hurry as usual.

DOCTOR/795

KN4EMY

Looking to do this soon, OP can you please post your experience(s) so far with the SL and 857D? Thanks and 73s!

W8JJV

I have a question I hope you can answer.
I am using the signal link with my 857D to do FT8.
When I enable transmit and send CQ the signal link keys the radio and starts transmitting. When I want to send again or answer someone I hit enable transmit...I get and error message that rig control is not configured right. I then hit the retry button on the error screen, the error screen goes away then I hit enable transmit and the signal link keys the radio and out goes the signal. How ever I have to get the error screen and do the "retry" after every transmission in order to get the signal link to key the radio??? I suspect I have something toggled wrong. Any ideas?
Duwain
W8JJV

Status
Not open for further replies.