RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio Data Transmissions

Amateur Radio Data Transmissions - For discussion of all modes used to send data such as APRS and packet.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2017, 7:08 PM

Default Help getting started with HF digital modes

Hi I'm just getting into digital modes considering it's really my only option besides CW. I have very bad RFI from power lines and cannot operate in 40 or 80 meters which as of current propagation condigtions is the only bands which you cannot easily operate voice and CW I don't really want to learn not that I haven't tried (I'm horrible). So that basically leaves digital modes. And since there are band opening all times of the day on 30m it's perfect. So my question is what digtal modes are popular and easy to do with just a sound card ans that I'm sure to make contacts on. I also wanted to know good software for these digtal modes. And if it matters I have a IC-7300.

THANKS!!!! KM6FRE
Sponsored links
Old 08-07-2017, 8:33 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Dig into the JT modes. JT-9 JT-65 et all. Not good for holding a conversation, but if you wan't to fill a log up, it'll do the job well. (I recommend WSJT-X)

Also PSK is very active. There's a ton of software out for this mode.. There's tons of modes out there, and most software does more than one or two mode. Dig in, and have fun.
Old 08-07-2017, 9:21 PM

So basically JT's and PSK31 are both popular and easy to get started on. What about RTTY?
Old 08-07-2017, 9:28 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

RTTY is out there, and is popular with many. There's also Olivia, MFSK, Hellschreiber, and plenty more..Check out Digital Modes for more..

The PSK and JT modes are almost always busy. And JT is better at digging signals out of the mud, which could be critical in your situation.
Old 08-08-2017, 9:18 AM
Lead Wiki Manager
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You might check YouTube and search for videos talking about using the IC-7300 on data modes. The IC-7300 has a built-in sound card interface with a USB sound card, so all you need is a USB B to USB A cable to go between the radio and your computer. Make sure to download and install the drivers before you connect the cable.

Generally, the PSK modes, especially PSK31, are good for making contacts and chatting. You'll find lots of activity around 14.070 MHz. The JT modes are good for simple contacts and "log filling". RTTY is most often used in contesting and not so much for general chit-chat. Olivia and MT63 are popular on 80m because they cut through the noise pretty well.

fldigi is a very popular sound card digital mode program and it's free. Others to consider are DigiPan, MultiPSK, and MixW.

"The whole world's living in a digital dream. It's not really there, it's all on the screen." -- WB6ACU
Sponsored links
Old 10-16-2017, 1:10 PM

hi,
im very limited as far as antennas go, surrounded by mountains and small houses with a G5RV jr. out the back yard strung from my attic window to a low tree. what is hot right now is FT8 the same family of JT65 and ,JT9. with FT8 having a faster contact rate. my interface is a west mountain radio rigblaster.
with 20 Watts and my trusty dipole out the window i had about 88 countries confirm, total 1,400 contacts in Less than 6 months. in 10,15,20,30,40 meters on weekends only.. my rig is the icom 7600. for really low power mode i like JT9 but contact takes about 5 minutes. i get bore! is possible to work DX with 2 watts or less with JT9. you need a little more power with FT8 i use about 20 watts. with fantastic results.