RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio Data Transmissions


Amateur Radio Data Transmissions - For discussion of all modes used to send data such as APRS and packet.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-24-2017, 11:20 PM
W3AWF's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chester County, PA
Posts: 127
Default TNC-PI and Motorola Maxtrac Issues

I recently hooked my TNC-PI up to a Motorola Maxtrac and I am having some issues with it. It worked flawlessly for about a day until I noticed that it was transmitting way too much. Upon investigation it will transmit a beacon or retransmit a packet and then stay keyed up with no audio until the radio shuts itself down via the time out timer. As soon as I realized it I immediately reset the PI thinking that it could possibly be a software bug that just needed reset with no luck. After reviewing the code I am completely out of ideas as this is the first time I have interfaced a Maxtrac with a TNC and figured somebody here could point me in the right direction as to what the problem is.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-25-2017, 3:16 AM
krokus's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southeastern Michigan
Posts: 2,987
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by W3AWF View Post
I recently hooked my TNC-PI up to a Motorola Maxtrac and I am having some issues with it. It worked flawlessly for about a day until I noticed that it was transmitting way too much. Upon investigation it will transmit a beacon or retransmit a packet and then stay keyed up with no audio until the radio shuts itself down via the time out timer. As soon as I realized it I immediately reset the PI thinking that it could possibly be a software bug that just needed reset with no luck. After reviewing the code I am completely out of ideas as this is the first time I have interfaced a Maxtrac with a TNC and figured somebody here could point me in the right direction as to what the problem is.
Is the Pi keeping the radio keyed, or is the radio keeping itself keyed?

Sent via Tapatalk
__________________
Generic radio geek, in southeast Michigan.
PSR-500, TM-742, TM-V71,TH-78, HTX-420, IC-2AT, IC-2E (clone), Pro-39, BC-235XLT, TK-290, XTS-5000
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-25-2017, 8:32 AM
W9BU's Avatar
Lead Wiki Manager
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Brownsburg, Indiana
Posts: 4,884
Default

Might be worth asking John Hansen, the developer of the TNC Pi, how much current the TNC Pi's PTT circuit can handle. It's possible that the TNC Pi is closing the circuit but can't open it reliably.
__________________
Lead Wiki Manager and Forum Moderator.

"The whole world's living in a digital dream. It's not really there, it's all on the screen." -- WB6ACU
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-24-2017, 1:32 AM
jparks29's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Britain
Posts: 1,028
Default

I had the same issue with a Maxtrac on APRS as well, with an OpenTracker. Never figured it out, but I figure with how old they are, it was probably a maxtrac issue. At first I thought it might be RFI feeding back through the RJ mic connector, but ruled that out.
__________________
Oh! Come and see the violence inherent in the system! Help, help, I'm being repressed!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-24-2017, 5:01 PM
cmdrwill's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: So Cali
Posts: 2,733
Default

The Major problem: Maxtrac radios programmed below 146 mHz have the transmitter running wide open without any power control, that will cause all kinds of problems. Like locking the PTT line.

Yes there is a fix.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-24-2017, 6:04 PM
jparks29's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Britain
Posts: 1,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrwill View Post
The Major problem: Maxtrac radios programmed below 146 mHz have the transmitter running wide open without any power control, that will cause all kinds of problems. Like locking the PTT line.

Yes there is a fix.
That would probably explain the time it blew a 15A fuse.... hahahaha
__________________
Oh! Come and see the violence inherent in the system! Help, help, I'm being repressed!
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-24-2017, 8:40 PM
cmdrwill's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: So Cali
Posts: 2,733
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparks29 View Post
That would probably explain the time it blew a 15A fuse.... hahahaha
Perzactly.....

And be thankful the fuse did blow.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12-24-2017, 10:51 PM
jparks29's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Britain
Posts: 1,028
Default

http://www.repeater-builder.com/moto...r-control.html

http://www.repeater-builder.com/moto...ing-freqs.html
__________________
Oh! Come and see the violence inherent in the system! Help, help, I'm being repressed!

Last edited by jparks29; 12-24-2017 at 10:59 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 12-24-2017, 11:15 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: where they make the cheese
Posts: 166
Default

many of the maxtracs/radius/maratracs can be run with a modded firmware to fix the "wow i didnt know a maxtrac can put out 100 watts!" problem
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions