digital signal on 14.096 Mhz USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

alok

I hear a digital signal around 14.096 Mhz USB , each transmission last approx. 1 1/2 to 2 mins each ,when one transmission ends another comes on , on a slightly different frequency.

Using MultiPSK in Lentus mode ,occasionally it says Possible Lentus RX , under Automatic Answer window ... but never decodes Lentus.

Using MultiPSK in JT 65 mode it seems at times it is attempting to decode but shows no text.

Signals fade and is only there when 20 is open.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Possibly a Winlink station running PACTOR or Winmor.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There's a better way of identifying a digital signal than pure guesswork. You can look at the waterfall (sometimes referred to as a sonogram, or audio spectrum plot) of the signal; many digital sigs have unique patterns that give a pretty decent clue as to what mode you might be hearing.

Unfortunately I don't think MultiPSK has this ability, but there are many free programs, such as Spectrogram, that you can use. Their links can be found at the bottom of the page in my sig line. You can then use the waterfalls that are linked in the wiki article below. It's not complete - if there are other such pages out there, please add them to the wiki - because new modes are being experimented with all the time.

HF Digital Amateur Radio - The RadioReference Wiki

See the bottom of section 3 - Where can I find information on the various modes?

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I don't know of any authoritative page out there that lists what modes are common on which frequencies, but that too would be useful information to have in the wiki. I have one PDF file linked there, but I doubt it's complete

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Ah but what kind? There's an awful lot of digi modes out there, as my wiki page clearly shows. I kinda doubt MultPSK couldn't identify a simple Baudot transmission, using RSID or not... Mike

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
While 14.096 MHz is in the segment often used by RTTY, that segment is also used by automated Winlink stations.

The twin peaks of a RTTY signal is pretty easy to discern on the waterfall (at least, for me, but I'm a RTTY contester) and decode with most sound card data mode software.

Status
Not open for further replies.