Digital modes

Status
Not open for further replies.
This might be the wrong section for this, if so please move to correct sub forum.

I am pretty new to ham and really enjoying myself so far and would like to give some of the digital modes a try

Just wondering what the basic equipment needed is to be able to play with digital and maybe also monitor the hf bands, from a signal strength perspective is?

My set up consists of an Alinco dxSr8 transceiver and an ocfd for 80-10m up about 45’ set up and as inverted v.

I have a very basic laptop that does not have a dedicated sound card so I was looking at the SignaLink usb slusb8r.

Would this unit alone be enough to link my radio and my laptop using one of the many programs out there or would I also need to purchase the pc interface cable for my radio as well?

Thanks in advance
ke0ncp 73

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

n0nhp

That setup should work.
You will need to buy or build the cable from the SignaLink to the mic input of the Alinco.
The main reason I don't use my Alinco for digital modes is that it has no ALC indicator on it.. With digital modes you do not want the transmitter to even bump the ALC or you start splattering all over the spectrum.

The only reason to buy the PC interface would be to have the digital program auto-set the frequency and or your logging program to monitor your frequency for logging purposes.
Those things can be set up manually very easily.

Run your TX at minimum power to make the contact and put a fan on it. Digital modes are very hard on transmitters. It is easy to be putting only 5W into the antenna from a 100W transmitter and have it shut down (or melt down) due to the duty cycle.

Look me up if you get the JT modes working, that is where I usually hang out.

Bruce

Bruce,

Thank you for the info and advice! Will just go for the signalink then and skip the interface cable for now.

As for software, any suggestions? If so maybe shoot over a msg?

Thanks again,
Matt

KS0USA

HAM Dital Modes

Matt -

I operate almost 100 percent digital and concur with Bruce regarding the software to use. It will cover just about any mode you may be interested in. FT8 is the hot mode at the moment, one reason being it's very robust and basically must faster than JT65 and JT9. All three are good modes for working a lot of DX and in most cases you can do it with very little power and a minimal setup.

I've worked China in the JT9 mode with 15 watts and a vertical antenna ground mounted to a chain link fence post. And one of the advantages of all these digital modes is that on those days when SSB phone ain't worth a hoot, digital always seems to be alive and well.

Matt -

I operate almost 100 percent digital and concur with Bruce regarding the software to use. It will cover just about any mode you may be interested in. FT8 is the hot mode at the moment, one reason being it's very robust and basically must faster than JT65 and JT9. All three are good modes for working a lot of DX and in most cases you can do it with very little power and a minimal setup.

I've worked China in the JT9 mode with 15 watts and a vertical antenna ground mounted to a chain link fence post. And one of the advantages of all these digital modes is that on those days when SSB phone ain't worth a hoot, digital always seems to be alive and well.

KS0USA

Thanks for the input. After spending a couple of hours scanning 40, 20, 17 and 15 SSB phone tonight and literally only just hearing a few stations due to noise I decided to pop down to the digital frequencies. Wow there was a ton of action! I am sold on the idea of the digital modes and will be getting set up soon.

Thanks again for the input!

Best

spongella

Premium Subscriber
The SignaLink USB has been around for many years and I have been using one for digital HF mode reception for years. You'll not go wrong by purchasing one.

You will need a good decoding software like MultiPSK or FlDigi. Depends on what you are decoding Note that there is a free and registered version of MultiPSK. The cost for the lifetime registered version is well worth the price.

Software suggestions: MultiPSK has in my opinion the greatest number of digital modes. FlDigi is also a good one. YAND is good for NAVTEX, MMTTY for RTTY.

Have not tried transmitting though, will defer to those with experience. I mainly listen.

If I remember correctly, if you want to use SignaLink for transmitting you have to specify when ordering which xcvr you'll be using so they can supply you with the appropriate cable.

Have fun.

KW4JQ

Alinco DX sr8

I use just about that exact setup. I use fldigi and I have the control cable. It works good. The no alc isn't a big issue. I ask contacts how the waterfall looks and haven't had any complaints.

AI6RX

Ok, I am having a problem connecting my signalink. I plugged it into my computer and radio, changed sound input and output for the computer to USB audio CODEC but I cant get the waterfall to work. It shows that it will transmit just not receive for the waterfall. I had it working a while ago but now nothing.
Running Windows 10 with Signalink and Yaesu 450D.

Any advise??
Thanks

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Did you computer get the big Windows 10 upgrade in the past month or two? There's info on the Tigertronics web site about this: SignaLink Support

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Ok, I am having a problem connecting my signalink. I plugged it into my computer and radio, changed sound input and output for the computer to USB audio CODEC but I cant get the waterfall to work. It shows that it will transmit just not receive for the waterfall. I had it working a while ago but now nothing.
Running Windows 10 with Signalink and Yaesu 450D.

Any advise??
Thanks

Jimmy,
W9BU's input might have solved the problem, if not...

You are a little light on hardware in use information, but check from the radio to the computer application any control that effects the audio level. In the radio RF gain, AF gain, mode and bandwidth. Depending on interface check that RX (SignaLink USB) is not turned down. Then you have the level setting sliders at the system level for your audio input. Depending on application you may have additional input slider controls and then there is gain, contrast and level threshold for the water fall.

Look at the waterfall as the endpoint for a series of depend events one output into the next and failure at any point 'kills' any event that follows.

Good Luck,
Mike

P.S. While your post falls inline with the original its always best to start your own thread with more information. Assuming you have reached the point where you can start you own thread. I don't remember the requirements.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
P.S. While your post falls inline with the original its always best to start your own thread with more information. Assuming you have reached the point where you can start you own thread. I don't remember the requirements.
Anyone who is registered with the forum can start a new thread. The moderators will still have to approve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.