GPS receiver for APRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainguy1997

I was wondering what the best GPS receiver would be to use for aprs and if I needed anything else besides that and a cable to connect it to the radio. I have a Yaesu 8900R

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
You'll need a TNC or a dedicated APRS tracker.

The TNC could be something like a Kantronics KPC3 or KPC3+ (don't buy new as you can usually find used ones for less than $100).

The APRS tracker could be a TinyTrak4 from Byonics or an OT3m from Argent Data.

No matter which way you go, you'll need a GPS receiver that outputs NMEA0183 data over an RS-232 serial port. Both Byonics and Argent Data have suitable GPS receivers.

Trainguy1997

You'll need a TNC or a dedicated APRS tracker.

The TNC could be something like a Kantronics KPC3 or KPC3+ (don't buy new as you can usually find used ones for less than $100).

The APRS tracker could be a TinyTrak4 from Byonics or an OT3m from Argent Data.

No matter which way you go, you'll need a GPS receiver that outputs NMEA0183 data over an RS-232 serial port. Both Byonics and Argent Data have suitable GPS receivers.

I was looking at a Garmin Nuvi 350,I wonder if that would crank out the NMEA0183 data....

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Some of the Garmin nuvis can communicate with the outside world using what Garmin calls their Fleet Management Interface (FMI). Argent Data cracked the FMI code and the Argent Data Tracker2 and Tracker3 line can connect to a Garmin nuvi with FMI to get the lat/lon strings from the GPS receiver. The Garmin nuvi 350 is the best of the bunch, but they are pretty old these days so I'm not sure I'd spend a lot of money on one.

GrumpyGuard

Gps puc question

I have one of these for various uses and I did set it up for APRS a few years ago - works well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PGM-111-US...R-NR-NAVIGATION-COMPUTER-ANT-US-/291715470446

Martin,
How did you convert the PS2/USB to DB9? I was looking at some similar GPS receivers. Did you cut the end off the wire, and if so what is the wiring diagram? I don't want to have to spend more money for the PS2 to DB9 cable when the DB9 plug is a cheaper option.

Thanks,

Matt

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
If I were you, I would get the Garmin Nuvi 350 and the Fleet Management Cable with the tracker from Argent Data. When I purchased my gear, they were on top of it and had everything right! Programming was easy and I had mine running within an hour. It has yet to fail me nearly 8 years later...

Regards,

-Frank C.

JayC33

Premium Subscriber
Another thought in a slightly different direction, If you are an Android user, you can go with the Mobilikd TNC2, and APRS droid on your phone or tablet. This will connect via Bluetooth to your Android device, and use it's built in GPS. The Mobilinkd offers ready made cables to connect to various mobile and handheld radios, If you prefer to save a few bucks and wire the cable yourself, they provide the pinout in the user manual which is available online.

This is a nice compact unit can be rubberbanded to the back of a Baofeng or connected to a mobile.
I just acquired a GM300 that I am going to connect mine to as a dedicated APRS radio in my suburban.

majoco

Stirrer
Sorry for the delay. Go to this web page...

http://robotics.ee.uwa.edu.au/courses/hpes/labs/GPS/GPS-polstar.pdf

..and you'll see the PS2 plug info - but you dont need that. The EBay ad shows that it includes the converter to USB.

However you can do it yourself if you want to. It's not hard to cut the cable and get the power from a keyboard socket or a USB socket and send the feed into a DB9 connector - I can't remember the pins offhand but it's the standard receive and ground pins. You may need to download a driver called "PL2303". I can still use a very old laptop for the job - there is a very interesting programme called 'visual gps' which display all the information coming down in the NMEA data stream

GrumpyGuard

Sorry for the delay. Go to this web page...

http://robotics.ee.uwa.edu.au/courses/hpes/labs/GPS/GPS-polstar.pdf

..and you'll see the PS2 plug info - but you dont need that. The EBay ad shows that it includes the converter to USB.

However you can do it yourself if you want to. It's not hard to cut the cable and get the power from a keyboard socket or a USB socket and send the feed into a DB9 connector - I can't remember the pins offhand but it's the standard receive and ground pins. You may need to download a driver called "PL2303". I can still use a very old laptop for the job - there is a very interesting programme called 'visual gps' which display all the information coming down in the NMEA data stream

Thank you for the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.