Lost on how to setup aprs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainguy1997

I've been trying to setup aprs, bought this Garmin Nuvi250, and I can't even find a cable or figure out what or how to set up aprs with my Yaesu FT8900r. I'm about ready to throw in the towel. I'm 21 and I can't even figure this out....

Attachments

• 15223761925072691350694003585951.jpg
    15223761925072691350694003585951.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 159

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
You need more than a radio and a GPS receiver. You need a TNC or a dedicated APRS tracker.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You need one of these, as well as the appropriate cable to interface to the GPS and one to interface to the radio. Byonics - TinyTrak4
There are many ways to do this, this is just one.

added in edit:
Actually, not sure that's going to work. Doesn't look like that GPS will do a serial output. It appears to have a USB connection, but I couldn't find anything that says you can send out the data stream it needs.

Last edited:

GrumpyGuard

APRS Set up

Trainguy1997,
Your GPS needs to communicate with a TNC such as the Tinytrak3. Your GPS has to be capable of sending NMEA 0183 information to the Tinytrak with the use of a Garmin NMEA 0183 interface cable. You will also need an interface cable from the Tinytrak to your radio. This is just one of many options that you have.

Trainguy1997

Trainguy1997,
Your GPS needs to communicate with a TNC such as the Tinytrak3. Your GPS has to be capable of sending NMEA 0183 information to the Tinytrak with the use of a Garmin NMEA 0183 interface cable. You will also need an interface cable from the Tinytrak to your radio. This is just one of many options that you have.

Where could I find this particular cable at? I checked the garmin website but it isn't listed there.

Also where could I get a cable between my Yaesu and if I wind up buying the Tinytrak TNC?

GrumpyGuard

Where could I find this particular cable at? I checked the garmin website but it isn't listed there.

Also where could I get a cable between my Yaesu and if I wind up buying the Tinytrak TNC?

The Byonics website has most of what you will need. The interface cable from your Garmin GPS (providing the Novi 250 allows NEMA 0183) would be from the Garmin website.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
The Garmin Nuvi series GPS are primarily made for automotive use. I don't believe any of the have a serial output capable of sending NMEA 0183 location information.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Scott Miller at Argent Data has cables for Garmin nuvi GPS receivers that can bring NMEA 0183 data out using Garmin's Fleet Management Interface (FMI). I'm not sure that's the way to go for a simple APRS tracker, though.

Byonics has what you need: TinyTrack 4 plus their puck-type GPS receiver plus their radio cable plus your radio. Or, get the Byonics AIO and you'll have the GPSr, TNC, and radio all in one package.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
I was mistaken. As W9BU mentioned, Argent Data sells a Garmin FMI 15 cable that allows many Garmin automotive GPS models to send serial NMEA 0183 data to other devices. I don't see your exact model Nuvi on the compatibility list but the cable costs more than a dedicated GPS puck anyway.
I agree with W9BU. Check out Byonics.

Status
Not open for further replies.