Yaesu: FTM-400XDR data cable to TNC

Status
Not open for further replies.

AB6CJ

I want to connect my Yaesu FTM-400XDR radio to a Kantronics KPC-3+ TNC. I THINK this is what I need. First a Yaesu CT-164 cable to convert the radio's 9 pin data port to 6 pin mini DIN. Then an MFJ-5060YV cable to convert to DB-9. I wanted to make sure the pin functions matched but I'm confused by the terminology. E.g., pin 4 on the radio says, "RX 9600 (9600 bps packet data output)". RX is receive but output implies TX. So is the radio receiving or transmitting on that pin? Using these 2 cables, it connects to pin 5 on the TNC which says, "receive audio". My question is, is this the correct connection? I.e., do these 2 terms mean the same thing? I think this is TX from the radio & RX on the TNC side, but not sure.

I'll attempt to attach a spreadsheet with data on all the pins.

P.S., on the Kantronics website for the pinout, it says "AKSK in". Is that a typo & it should really be "AFSK in"? https://www.kantronics.com/documents/kpc3ppinout.pdf

Attachments

• yaesu_400.pdf
    45.6 KB · Views: 102

kb9gig

Of course i can only speak for the ct 165 cable which may be the same but i dont know for sure .
you don't need a tnc you can use a direct computer to radio interface such as rigblaster or even a homemade interface and run all the digital modes you want with a rigblaster you could connect it to the data port in the back with a ct 165 cable or you could use the mic jack on the front of the radio.
the only mode you would need a TNC for is Pactor.
on the ct 165 cable the serial end would connect to your computer but this is not the end you would use for digital modes you will want to use the 6 pin din connector on the other side of the Y connector and of course, the 10 pin connector would connect to the radio
the serial (db9 ) connector on the ct 165 cable will only work for you for programing the radio
Example i use the ct 165 cable to connect one side (DB9) connector to my computer for rig programming and the other end of the Y (6pin din) connector to connect to my dstar modem so i can run dstar and fusion on band A and still be able to program my radio without disconnecting and connecting cables all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.