VX-7R -- Scanning in Los Angeles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

3321thec

I recently purchased a VX-7R new, and am very impressed so far. The only downside I can see is that I cannot hit the 483.98750 mhz frequency of my local sheriff's office, the radio will only tune to 483.950 and 484.000.

Does anyone know of a way to tune to that frequency? Or will this radio not tune that finely?

Any help appreciated!

~3321thec (KI6CRW)

N6RDC

Yes, the channel steps should be changed, I had a VX-7R that I really liked, I recently sold it to get the new VX-8R which I also like. I never really had much luck with these radios as a scanner as compared to a regular scanner. If all you'll be listening to is LA county Sheriff and other analog systems you might want to get even a cheap used analog scanner...you'll probably be more satisfied with the reception and performance.
Good luck,
N6RDC

3321thec

Yeah, I found how to tune to that frequency about 15 minuets after my first post, but it didn't occur to me to come back and update this.

@89gta: I can see what you mean about poor performance. Wow, it leaves a lot to be desired. I might look into a scanner, but the main purpose of my VX-7R is as a Armature Radio transceiver with Police scanning as a perk that it may or may not do (In this can "may not" applies).

Thanks All!!
~3321thec (KI6CRW)

P.S. If you are in Southern California (LA county or close by), drop in on 449.700 (-) PL 131.8 Hz. I am often monitoring this repeater.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
It Is Possible

I have a VX-7R, live in LA County (SFV), and have no problem with my radio. I have frequencies in my radio that are four beyond the decimal (e.g. 483.9875 (Mutual Aid North)).

This is a very complex radio and some research into the manual is required. I am not sure how I did it, but I was able to put in these types of frequencies.

My radio is also programmed to transmit out of band via software (as opposed to making a hardware modification to the radio), so this may have something to do with it; but I am almost positive it is just a setting in one of the many menus.

If I can be of any help, let me know.

73's

Last edited:

N6RDC

3321thec,
How's it going with the 7R for listening to the LA County Sheriff?
At least my experience with amateur HT's (I've owned several Yaesu, Kenwood, Icom)
is that they don't do as well as a conventional scanner for public service monitoring.
I was at my local Radio Shack the other day and noticed they had a Pro 162 on clearance
for $99, brand new sealed container! That would be hard to beat, even looking at what decent
scanners go for used.
If you have the funds you can't go wrong having a decent scanner....I've got a few, loaded up
with LA county sheriff, Fire, CHP, etc. I have yet to have an amateur HT that comes close, especially
for the price of the scanner being about a third of the HT!
Just my 2 cents worth.....good luck!
N6RDC

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
I usually have both my scanner (Uniden BCD396T) and my 7R on while driving. Sometimes I hear traffic on my scanner and not on my 7R, but sometimes I hear traffic on the 7R and not my scanner. Usually, I hear on both.

Hmm.. Interesting.. What is the software you used to program your radio?
VX-7 Commander by Jim Mitchell, KC8UNJ

3321thec

@89gta: Like I said, the VX-7R (now that I foundout how to) does pick up all the bands im looking for, but for my local sherriff's station it is way too sensitive. I get squealing and popping whenever I move the radio....
As for buying a dedicated scanner, as of right now I am not that bothered as to pay that much for a dedicated unit. The scanning abilities of the VX-7R were more of just a side interest to me....

Thanks,
Luke Cycon (KI6CRW)

Status
Not open for further replies.