Tuner Recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsmevoss

Premium Subscriber
Does anybody have any recommendations on a good antenna tuner? I have a g5rv antenna hooked up to my Yaesu FT-450 and the built-in tuner does not want to tune it. I am not running an amp so I don't need anything that can handle a lot of power. Cost is also a important factor as I am a little low on funds after purchasing the radio.

Aaron

SCPD

QRT
G5RV tuner

Does anybody have any recommendations on a good antenna tuner? I have a g5rv antenna hooked up to my Yaesu FT-450 and the built-in tuner does not want to tune it. I am not running an amp so I don't need anything that can handle a lot of power. Cost is also a important factor as I am a little low on funds after purchasing the radio.

Aaron

I currently use a LDG AT-11MP Autotuner going into a G5RV jr.
Before that, I used a MFJ Versa Tuner II with both the full size and the Jr.
I have worked Europe and the Pacific Rim, no problem from Michigan, with both of those tuners.

elk2370bruce

Take a look at any issue of CQ or QST and find the MFJ ad page for tuners). A good beginning would include a built in 4:1 balun to match your ladder line. Chances are that your rig is loking to match your antenna to 50 ohms. G5RV and ladder line is around 450 ohms. That may be your problem. The MFJ (MightyFine Junk) 949, at less than two beans would do the trick for you. Will handle 300 watts which is more than most barefoot rigs.

itsmevoss

Premium Subscriber
Model

Thanks guys that was along the lines of what I was looking for. I have researched the different manufactures and was just kind of looking for input on specific models people may have had experience with.

Aaron

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
A resonant antenna such as the G5RV doesn't require a tuner, if your SWR is higher than 2:1 you have a problem a tuner won't fix. As with any antenna you'll still have the same mismatch between the antenna and tuner, all it does is fool the transmitter into thinking it's looking at 50 ohms. FYI, there is no such thing as an antenna tuner, YOU are the antenna tuner. In other words what's inside the box is an impedance matching network, it won't change the resonant point of the antenna one bit.

prcguy

The G5RV is supposed to have a reasonable match in 20m when fed with 75ohm coax and requires a tuner on all other bands. I have never seen a G5RV that matches on 20m without a tuner however the inexpensive LDG tuners will usually tune them fine from 80m on up.
prcguy

A resonant antenna such as the G5RV doesn't require a tuner, if your SWR is higher than 2:1 you have a problem a tuner won't fix. As with any antenna you'll still have the same mismatch between the antenna and tuner, all it does is fool the transmitter into thinking it's looking at 50 ohms. FYI, there is no such thing as an antenna tuner, YOU are the antenna tuner. In other words what's inside the box is an impedance matching network, it won't change the resonant point of the antenna one bit.

k8mcn

I have had MFJ's, And LDG autos, but now use a PALSTAR AT1KP.-a bit more money but should be a usable tuner for many many years.
Will handle power if you ever get an amp, their customer support is unmatched, i have never seen a bad review for Palstar, made in the USA,has built in balun, (my main antenna now is a loop fed with 450ohm ladder line),and in my opinion a lot more fun to tune (or match for Warren's benefit)than the autotuners..........

itsmevoss

Premium Subscriber
Thanks everybody for the input. I ended up finding a used MFJ-949E on another forum and purchased that. Hopefully it will fulfill my needs.

Aaron

K

kb0nly

I would start out checking the swr on the antenna, get an analyzer if you can borrow one from someone and check it first, antenna problems aside the built in tuner on the 450 is a compromise, its not good at handling a large mismatch. Some reviews say 3:1 is the most it can handle.

If you don't have a good balun as some have suggested get one!

A plain jane 949 tuner from MFJ is actually a good way to go, i had one for years, i bought one off ebay that had a dead meter according to the seller, turned out to be blown protection diodes. Replaced the diodes and the meter worked perfectly and after fixing a few bad solder joints the tuner worked flawlessly for years. After i added an amp, the SB-200 i rebuilt from the chassis up, i got a Heathkit SA-2040 2kW roller inductor tuner, and i love it, will tune just about anything. But hey, that's not really the point here, i prefer to have a resonant antenna in the first place, but we all know its nice to have a tuner for excursions out to one end of the band or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.