IC-v82 narrowband question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baker845

I have a Icom Ic-v82 and i like to listen to narrowband freq that Dept foresty as. But its 1825 and it wont let me do 1825, is there mod or firmware upgrade i can do to make the radio rx narrowband in 6.5 and 7.5 khz area??

thank you

fineshot1

Change the tuning step to 5khz and set the vfo to XXX.1700 Mhz

Then change the tuning step to 12.5khz and move up one step.

It should now be on XXX.1825 Mhz (unless the firmware will not let you)

If that fails and it rounds out you may have to contact icom tech support
and ask them.

Baker845

didnt work, emailed icom no fireware that make radio do 6.5 or 7.5 khz. Time look for narrowband radio..

Thank you fineshot1 for your help

baker845

fineshot1

Unfortunately the ham radio manufactures are in direct contrast to their own policies.

They offer out of ham band frequency coverage but when it comes to tuning steps
they are out of step (so to speak) with the rest of the industry. I have had this happen
before with icom. They(Japan) simply do not seem to understand what the needs of
the American market are.

Baker845

yea most of out band freq are moving narrowband, so hope Japan learns soon about the narrowband move over here in USA.

thank you again

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
and don't look to them to do anything about it, until hams actually go narrowband (fat chance), the manufacturers are under little motivation to include it. One exception is Kenwood, IIRC the TM-271A will tune 6.25 and 7.25 steps.

Keep in mind these are HAM radios and their primary function is use on the HAM bands, and all of the manufacturers clearly disclaim that "performance and specifications are not guaranteed outside the ham bands"

aside, using a HAM radio to transmit out of band is illegal, regardless of one's authorization. The equipment is not certified, nor intended, for COMMERCIAL use.

Solution, obtain a new COMMERCIAL radio capable of narrowband, which anything with FCC certification for part 90 use has to be capable of it was made after 1997.

VHF analog portables are not too far off from what the average ham radio is now.

Baker845

Yea thats what i was thinking it be long time before ham makers other then kenwood that will do narrow band on ham radios. But i working on Commercial radio most likely tk-2180 will be radio. Does all what v82 does plus narrowband and can use it for fire dept uses.

thank you all for info and help

Status
Not open for further replies.