Computer Transmitter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard of software/programs where you can transmitte and recieve radio traffic through your computer, like it is a mobile radio. Is there such a thing for ham radios as well or is that the special licensed people that want to spend alot of money? I was talking to a guy who had a friend (you know how that goes) that could no matter where he was at type the local freq. into his lap top and start transmitting on any freq. Eather way it would be cool to have. Does anyone know where to find this type of software? or how much it would cost?

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I have heard of software/programs where you can transmitte and recieve radio traffic through your computer, like it is a mobile radio. Is there such a thing for ham radios as well or is that the special licensed people that want to spend alot of money?

There isn't a piece of software that will do that. There are some software packages that can do some neat stuff with the sound card, but that's severely limited in frequency and power. But really low frequency radio signals can be received directly with a sound card and the right software.

As for transmitting, higher power, and wider frequency ranges, what you're probably thinking of are software define radios. There is a separate hardware package that gets conected to, and controlled by, a computer. The're expensive, and if they transmit, they require the operator have a ham license.

I was talking to a guy who had a friend (you know how that goes) that could no matter where he was at type the local freq. into his lap top and start transmitting on any freq. Eather way it would be cool to have. Does anyone know where to find this type of software? or how much it would cost?

There are several pieces of reality missing to that, but it's not far fetched. There are several off the shelf software defined radios that could ALMOST fit that description, as well as kits and plans. Ready made, and kits, are in the several kilobuck range. Plans would probably cost more in the long run.

But to make it clear, it's NOT software. It's hardware.

N0KMA

I have heard of software/programs where you can transmitte and recieve radio traffic through your computer, like it is a mobile radio. Is there such a thing for ham radios as well or is that the special licensed people that want to spend alot of money? I was talking to a guy who had a friend (you know how that goes) that could no matter where he was at type the local freq. into his lap top and start transmitting on any freq. Eather way it would be cool to have. Does anyone know where to find this type of software? or how much it would cost?

I have my station set up where i can use it through a remote server. Anywhere i have internet access i can log into my radio and start transmitting SSB/CW/Data. I use Skype to transfer audio and Ham Radio Deluxe to control the radio, you know, key the radio, choose mode and frequency, choose antenna, etc. I live in MO. I was in New York on business for 2 weeks. Every night back at the hotel i was able to log onto my rig at home and make a few contacts and participate in the CQ world wide DX contest. Best of all the software is free. I took a shortwave radio with me and was able to copy my signal from Missouri in the hotel in NY. Pretty cool.

Todd
NØKMA

fineshot1

Not sure but it sounds like you are talking about "Echo Link" that hams use to talk on repeaters or remote base stations that are miles away from them. This is NOT the computer that is transmitting. This is a VOIP link to a radio transceiver and interface which can be located just about anywhere that an internet connection can be located at. You must be a licensed ham to use this. There are also other variations of this technology but that is perhaps for another thread.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Echostink is but one way of operating a remote base via the internet, actually to be more accurate it is software used to access repeaters so equipped and other users via a direct computer VoIP link. The program is buggy and frankly despite it's popularity I strongly advise against it unless you have experience resolving port and IP issues.

Katchina used to manufacture rigs that could be interfaced with computers and operated as remote bases via the internet but has since gone out of business. More enterprising hams have established means of doing the same with other radios and equipment and some offer their stations to be so operated by hams of the appropriate and verifiable license class while they sit there as control operators in compliance with the law. That's not to say they push the buttons, the entire station is remotely controlled using distributed software, their job is to see it's done legally.

Yeah I know, one question leads to another so all I can say is if this has whet your appetite you'll just have to do your own homework. There is no pat answer to such a question, there are SO many ways of setting up and operating a remote base the questions and answers can fill volumes. Oh, you'll find more knowledgeable hams on ham web sites than you will on a scanner forum... hint hint.

prcguy

My TenTec Omni VII is an out of the box remote controlled HF radio, every front panel function plus tx/rx audio is available on a remote computer. You just select an IP address and a few other things on the radio and plug into you internet router. I'll be using it remote from Dayton with a tiny Acer laptop while walking through the hamfest.
prcguy

cinsu

I use a motorola centracom gold elite at work but it is VERY expensive and I don't think it is available to the public. We are on a Moto Type II Smartnet radio system with 250+ TGs on my screen plus some other surrounding counties UHF freqs and national Mutual aid. I did read somewhere about a guy that made a program similar to it for amateur radio use.

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
Echostink is but one way of operating a remote base via the internet, actually to be more accurate it is software used to access repeaters so equipped and other users via a direct computer VoIP link. The program is buggy and frankly despite it's popularity I strongly advise against it unless you have experience resolving port and IP issues.

Hmmm I have a link station setup on echolink and use my HT to get into it when I'm outside and I have had no problems and works like a charm!

Echolink is a good way to link radios. I Love it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.