HT with Cross Band Repeat

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know of a current HT that will do cross band repeat?

I'd like an HT with at least 2M and 440 (obviously) but if it did 6M and/or 220MHz and/or digital would be nice. I haven't shopped for a radio for a very long time and feel a little out of touch with what's out now.

n5ims

What exactly are you looking for in "cross band repeat"? Normally this function is used to allow your HT to work through your car's dual band radio so the feature isn't required in the HT, but in the mobile radio. This will extend the HT's range from the relatively short range from inside a building to a larger range available to the mobile radio with it's higher power and antenna in a more open area (and not shielded by the concrete and steel building).

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
What exactly are you looking for in "cross band repeat"? Normally this function is used to allow your HT to work through your car's dual band radio so the feature isn't required in the HT, but in the mobile radio. This will extend the HT's range from the relatively short range from inside a building to a larger range available to the mobile radio with it's higher power and antenna in a more open area (and not shielded by the concrete and steel building).

What I'm looking for in "cross band repeat" is exactly that. I know what it is and how it works and what its used for. I have an older mobile that does it fine. I'm just asking if there is such an HT that is being produced currently.

n5ims

Most dual band HTs don't have dual receivers and the duty cycle (not to mention the limited battery life) further limit the HTs ability to perform this function. However, here's a thread from eham.net that discusses this topic and makes some recommendations (it's a bit old though). handheld/mobile w/ crossband repeater capability? - VHFUHF Forum at eHam.net

This thread from qrz.com also discusses this topic and has some more recent entries that may be useful. do all ht's have crossband repeat? - QRZ Forums

The reason I asked was that the impression from several folks that asked about this previously had the impression that both the HT and mobile radios had to have this functionality for them to use it. Since you're familiar with this cabability, you know that this isn't the case.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Most dual band HTs don't have dual receivers and the duty cycle (not to mention the limited battery life) further limit the HTs ability to perform this function. However, here's a thread from eham.net that discusses this topic and makes some recommendations (it's a bit old though). handheld/mobile w/ crossband repeater capability? - VHFUHF Forum at eHam.net

This thread from qrz.com also discusses this topic and has some more recent entries that may be useful. do all ht's have crossband repeat? - QRZ Forums

The reason I asked was that the impression from several folks that asked about this previously had the impression that both the HT and mobile radios had to have this functionality for them to use it. Since you're familiar with this cabability, you know that this isn't the case.

Thanks. I wasn't sure if there were any being made today. From what I was reading...no, there aren't any. I was just wanting to get a radio that could do it if available when I purchase 2 radios (one for me and one for the wife once she gets her license). No big deal if I can't get one. I know in that past I needed it for something (not sure what it was even) and was able to get the mobile to do it. :) Thanks again for the info.

KI6ABZ

Premium Subscriber
FYI, the Kenwood TH-F6 CAN do dual receive... VFO A is just a 2m/220/440 receiver, and VFO B is a wideband receiver. I use it pretty frequently to monitor my club repeater on one VFO and scan on the other while I'm working HF on my base radio. If someone I want to talk to comes up, I can just pick it up and talk.

kc4jgc

I've seen ads for HT's that crossband repeat in the past; none recently.

My two cents:

I personally see no use for a handheld capable of crossband repeat. Battery pack would be depleted in nothing flat. Heat generated from the HT would be another issue.

I have 2 Kenwood 2m/220 mobile rigs I've had modified to do crossband repeat. I often use that function during public service events. Those get really warm even with heat sinks!

fineshot1

I think you will have to purchase a used HT to find that functionality. The older model HT's had much bigger capacity battery packs available and would last a little longer in this mode but the heat issue was still a problem.

I am pretty sure the Icom IC-W2A and the Yeasu FT-530 both could be modified to actually do cross band repeat.

KC8RFE

I have a Yaesu FT51R that does cross band repeat. It has a low power setting of 50mW which is perfect for the side of the radio doing most of the transmitting. The radio never gets warm on that setting.

gcoffey22

Premium Subscriber
I have an older Alinco DJ-580 that does full cross band repeat. I see them quite often on fleabay for $75 or so. It's been a great ht, I bought it new in '94 and have beat it to death but it still works great!

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Kenwoods TH-79AD does crossband repeat. down side of it is the design of the radio, it does not disapate heat very well. but if you keep it at .5W and 30mW output power it wont get too hot. but i think the FT-530 or the older alincos are better ht's to do crossband repeat with

n8emr

I know of no HT or mobile for that matter that offers a legal cross band repeater. Several offer cross band functionality, just not legal to use since you cant properly ID all the transmitters.

Yaesu had one back in the early 90's that would ID both directions but nothing now a days.

Status
Not open for further replies.