First Radio Yaesu FT-7800 vs FT-7900

Status
Not open for further replies.

canav844

Maybe I'm splitting hairs, for the sake of splitting hairs, but here goes....

5watt power difference on UHF (leans me in favor of 7900), 2 different buttons on the face plate (I prefer the 7800 on the looks), $30-40 price difference (7800 wins there), I've read here the 7900 has more durable internals (so that's a plus for the 7900).

What else am I missing in comparing these two radios? Is the 7900 better for future long term support being the newer platform, or is the 7800 the better option, having so many users out there that like their units, providing community support?

So close in price they're both within budget, from the information available I'm pretty well split down the middle on the few differences that I can find information about.

Also this is my first HAM radio (though I'm familiar with a variety of scanners, FRS, GMRS, CB, and the use of the Motorola radios on hand when dispatching) so I'm not 100% sure on exactly what features I need to be looking for.

soncorn

Maybe I'm splitting hairs, for the sake of splitting hairs, but here goes....

5watt power difference on UHF (leans me in favor of 7900), 2 different buttons on the face plate (I prefer the 7800 on the looks), $30-40 price difference (7800 wins there), I've read here the 7900 has more durable internals (so that's a plus for the 7900).

What else am I missing in comparing these two radios? Is the 7900 better for future long term support being the newer platform, or is the 7800 the better option, having so many users out there that like their units, providing community support?

So close in price they're both within budget, from the information available I'm pretty well split down the middle on the few differences that I can find information about.

Also this is my first HAM radio (though I'm familiar with a variety of scanners, FRS, GMRS, CB, and the use of the Motorola radios on hand when dispatching) so I'm not 100% sure on exactly what features I need to be looking for.

The only negative I see right now with the 7900 is that there is no programming software. Otherwise I would say go for it.

canav844

Yeah I got impatient and went over to the local Ham shop, and picked up the 7800 (and it's all installed already too), I figured it was was $30 more I could spend on an antenna, and if I get tot the point where I'm wanting something the 7900 has that the 7800 doesn't then I'll probably have hit the point where I'll be looking for an excuse to buy more radios and build my shack anyways.

Attachments

• IMG_0820.jpg
    IMG_0820.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 23,858
Ft-7900

I've been looking to buy my first mobile. Up to now, I've used my HT (which works pretty well as we have a repeater on the highest building in the county). I'd been very confused as to the 7900 vs. 8800 vs. 8900. I want to use it for sats and the Yaesu rep told me that while it's not dual receive, I can put the freqs in with an odd-split and it will work. Of course, I can't dink around with the HT and use it for a repeat radio. As far as picking the 7900, it ranked 4.9/5.0 at EHam. The major improvement has been tightening up the knobs on the front. I think it's a great radio.

mrweather

The FT-7800/7900 won't do crossband repeat because it's not a dual-receive radio. Only the 8800 or 8900 has that capability.

7900 next best thing to crossband repeat

The 7900 won't do a crossband repeat, but you can do an odd split and program different frequencies in the rx and tx. Handy for sats. It's a decision of if one really needs crossband repeat vs. if it would be nice to have. For about $100 more, I'm having trouble justifying it.

AI6DX

The 7900 won't do a crossband repeat, but you can do an odd split and program different frequencies in the rx and tx. Handy for sats. It's a decision of if one really needs crossband repeat vs. if it would be nice to have. For about $100 more, I'm having trouble justifying it.
The only internal "mods" Yaesu did with the 7900 is the 5 watts extra power (big deal, one will NEVER notice the difference) and .........a ever so slightly better loud speaker. Either way, the internal speaker that comes with the 7800 and/or 7900 really does better with your own external aftermarket speaker.

Other than that, I'd get the 7800 while you still can. Programming software is readily available and the cost difference between the radios is better. I really think that cosmetics and a new model number change are the only significant changes between the two rigs.

davidbond21

The only negative I see right now with the 7900 is that there is no programming software. Otherwise I would say go for it.

This is not quite true. The software I have(FT7800 Programmer by RT Systems, Inc) for my 7800 programmed up my buddies 7900 without issue.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
Ft-7900

The FT-7900 software is available!! Go to the website for RT Systems and you'll find it along with any required cables. I've got both radios and prefer the 7900 - it will accommodate encode and decode PL/DCS codes

jaskel

Premium Subscriber
has anyone had any luck extending the TX to 480mhz?? I know it can be extended to 470mhz but I need that 10mhz more.....man im hanging to find that one!

I likw my 7900 as I not only have 2/70 in it but RX all my local airports and UHF freq!

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Legal in Australia

Is it legal to use an amateur radio to transmit "out of band" in Australia? Or do they have an amateur band in the 480 mHz section?

jaskel

Premium Subscriber
I meant, I want it to TX on UHF CB so 476-477.400mhz

If I can get it to do that I can get rid of my GME radio!

Sure ther eis a WAY!!! its only 10mhz more ;)

willosky

Premium Subscriber
This is not quite true. The software I have(FT7800 Programmer by RT Systems, Inc) for my 7800 programmed up my buddies 7900 without issue.

That's right, the FT-7900 and FT-7800 use the same softwere

cosportyguy

Premium Subscriber
My first radio was the 7900 and loved it but since upgraded to the 8800r and to tell u the truth the 7900 was a great first radio I wish I would have started with the 8800r plus the rebate that Yeasu is doing it's worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
That's right, the FT-7900 and FT-7800 use the same softwere

2ly5vuh.jpg

I have a Yaesu FT-7900R in my car with the remote separation kit. Works great except for some front end problems with strong paging towers here and there. Gotta turn up the squelch to cure her.

She's difficult to program by hand but it can be done without splurging on a cable and software.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
2ly5vuh.jpg

I have a Yaesu FT-7900R in my car with the remote separation kit. Works great except for some front end problems with strong paging towers here and there. Gotta turn up the squelch to cure her.

She's difficult to program by hand but it can be done without splurging on a cable and software.

My first 7900 was programmed entirely by hand. Programmed in 58 channels that evening. The first few went somewhat slowly, but after that I got into a pretty good rhythm and knocked the rest out in short order. When I bought the second one for my car, I purchased the software/cable. Read from first radio and wrote to the second. Much, much easier.

:)

canav844

60k miles later still running the 7800. Had a friend with the software and cable for his radio, so I had help with the first 30-45 memories getting programmed in, the rest of the way up to my 115 in there now have been done by hand. Programming wasn't fun when I have to name things, but it's no worse than many of the HTs out there. Radio still does great for day to day rag chews.

iconbadgta

I been looking at the tyt th9800 or the Wouxon kg-uv950p for my first mobile rig, everyone says they are Yaesu internals with off brand casings.... Allot cheaper and people are giving them good reviews on YouTube also.

I don't do allot of talking, mostly listening so I don't need a super crazy heavy duty deal, I also had been looking at the dual band Yaesu also.....

Status
Not open for further replies.