looking at getting a yaseu

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireman846

ok im new to the radio world and im looking at getting into it all. i was wanting to know how hard is it to program up a yaseu? is it something thats easy or pretty darn hard to do and need a rocket scientis for? what would be a good radio to start out with? please any help would be great thanks!!

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
If you can program your vcr...then you can program a yaesu.
N9ZAS.

fireman846

Im looking at either a ft-2800m or a ft-7800r those were the ones i was thinking? Do i need anything to do it like a seperate computer is it some thing i can do vie the radio its self? those are the questions im looking for. Answers on the web site is taking to long to receive any info from them. Any help would be great thanks

gewecke

Banned
Using the the software makes it quicker,maybe easier. I personally,don't think it's any harder to program from the radio. You'll have some fun and learn a little doing it too! Enjoy!
N9ZAS.

canav844

Im looking at either a ft-2800m or a ft-7800r those were the ones i was thinking? Do i need anything to do it like a seperate computer is it some thing i can do vie the radio its self? those are the questions im looking for. Answers on the web site is taking to long to receive any info from them. Any help would be great thanks

I've got the 7800, about a month ago, it took probably a half hour of setting aside the time to sit there and teach myself how that particular interface works, then I sat down for another hour or so and put in about 40freq with the alpha tags, now in my general scanning if I come across something I want to save I save it in about 2sec with one button, then go back and re-save to enter the alpha tag later on. But I've got experience with a few brands of scanners as well (the alpha tag storage mirrors the uniden 996 scanner interface pretty well if that helps you at all)

I'm not screwed without the software (and I'm using a PPC mac right now so even if I bought it I couldn't really use it) but it would make the organization a heck of a lot easier. I'll hit the point where I want more organization later on and pony up get the software and get the full use out of the radio, but I'm not exactly lacking right now either.

BTW I'm happy enough with the ft-7800 that I just had a VX-170 arrive today so I can hop on the 2M repeaters in the area without having to be in the car.

DX949

Banned
YouTube - Software Programming Yaesu FT7800

check this link out,software for 7800.

fireman846

ok that video was good it shows its pretty easy with the software! so is getting one of these a good idea for a first radio then? my budgets pretty small as we just had a baby! so i dont want to get to carried away just yet but it seems to be in my range to buy a 7800. what are everyones opinions on these? thanks for everyones help too!

Status
Not open for further replies.