Icom 756proiii

Status
Not open for further replies.

LGLDSR73

Any thoughts or opinions on the ICOM 756PRO-III? Can this be used as a SW receiver as well, covering the same bands as that of the ICOM-R75?

Thinking of getting a Ham License but given that will take some time and study, I do want to be able to listen as well. Am I correct in assuming that as long as I do not transmit until I have a license, I can at least legally receive SW broadcasts?

Thanks!

Bill_White

I hear the PRO III a great rig.
YES, in 2000 I purchased an IC-746 instead of the R75 for SWL.
Just keep the microphone in the box until your license arrives. :wink:

If you are getting a new one, do it soon.
Most dealers have them listed as a closeout item.
They are being replaced by the IC-7600.

Bill_White

LGLDSR73

KI4VBR

Premium Subscriber
My Vote For The Pro3

Any thoughts or opinions on the ICOM 756PRO-III? Can this be used as a SW receiver as well, covering the same bands as that of the ICOM-R75?

Thinking of getting a Ham License but given that will take some time and study, I do want to be able to listen as well. Am I correct in assuming that as long as I do not transmit until I have a license, I can at least legally receive SW broadcasts?

Thanks!

I have had 2 Pro 3 rigs and think they are great. I sold my first one due to some financial needs, and luckliy a few months later I found enough cash to get another one......and I wont be letting this one go!

Any rate, the receiver on the P3 is the best I have ever come across. I purchased this radio for a particular reason......I am in a deed restricted neighborhood and my antenna is a very small vertical on the ground in the backyard, out of view of the neighbors. With this antenna, I really needed a strong receiver that would get rid of a lot of the noise you typically get with a vertical. So the P3's receiver makes up for the marginal antenna I have and I have been working the world on 20-50 watts.

I also had a Yaesu FT1000 Mk5 which is a great receiver. The P3 still excels above the Mk5 which is a very highly rated rig.

Hope my comments help........Good luck!

Vince

prcguy

The Pro III is a nice radio but if your going to consider a new one there are better radios in that price category like the TenTec Omni VII.

The TenTec has a better receiver, the human interface is very intuitive and it can run full remote control from anywhere over the Internet right out of the box. If the Pro II is heavily discounted then price may dictate what you get.

I've had an Omni VII for almost 2 yrs and my Pro III friends who use it would gladly trade their Icoms if they could.
prcguy

Status
Not open for further replies.