Dual Band Antenna of choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlipNutz15

Wacker
Feed Provider
I have a Yaesu VX-7R and ran coax in my vehicle (through the roof NMO mount) and I'm going to get the adaptor for the antenna to coax. I would like to get a dual band antenna for the radio. What brand and model do you recommend and why? Thank you for your time!

leone35130

I like the Comet SBB-5. It's pretty durable and has a foldover feature. I use it on my 05 Xterra with a TM-710. I haven't tried using an HT on it though.

SlipNutz15

Wacker
Feed Provider
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

I know the 7R is a triband transceiver so maybe a triband?

fineshot1

Depends on which bands you primarily plan to operate on.

This HT is actually listed on the eham review as a quad bander - 6mtr/2mtr/222/70cm
although the 222 band is very much in the flea power range(300mw).

I do not know the local repeaters you have but 6mtrs with an ht is mostly useless
unless you are near any 6mtr repeaters and with the low power on 220 it may be
the same - but we will have to let others relate there experience with that.

If you are going to use 2mtrs/220/70cm mostly I would go with the Comet SBB-224NMO
or if you will use 2mtrs/6mtrs/70cm the most I would go with the Comet SB-14. You could
also purchase the Diamond brand equals but like I said above it all depends on the main
bands you choose to operate on.

NOTE: You will need an NMO to SO-239 adapter with the SB-14 which is no big deal as
they are plentiful and pose no problems in usage.

Last edited:

SlipNutz15

Wacker
Feed Provider
Most of the action around me is 144/440 so I guess a dual band would work just fine.

Thank you for your recommendation, I'll look into it.

canav844

I went with the Comet SBB-2 NMO for daily use because:

• It's NMO mount
  • relatively cheap
  • short enough to not stand out and fit in my garage
  • Not so small I have a major performance sacrifice

The beauty of the NMO mount is that once I decide I need something a little stronger, I can get an SBB-7 and put it on for road trips and such in about 2 seconds. Same goes for if you move, travel or decide you want to try something new, just screwing on another antenna is a pretty simple task.

As was mentioned just make sure you're not Txing where the antenna isn't tuned, as we'd hate to see you lose your HT.

SCPD

QRT
Dual band antenna

I have a Yaesu VX-7R and ran coax in my vehicle (through the roof NMO mount) and I'm going to get the adaptor for the antenna to coax. I would like to get a dual band antenna for the radio. What brand and model do you recommend and why? Thank you for your time!

I use the Larsen NMO 2/70B. It's about 34" long. If you decide on the Larsen, get the open coil. The closed coil will sometimes break in cold weather, when the antenna hits a tree or whatever.

SlipNutz15

Wacker
Feed Provider
Thank you all. I'll be doing some studying before I buy the antenna. I have a Maxrad VHF antenna right now on the vehicle, just need a mini-u female to sma male adaptor and I'll be good for now.

stevolene

I agree, best antenna I ever used, a less expensive antenna is the diamond mr17 dual band, I believe thats the model, small dual band mag mount, good performer

Status
Not open for further replies.