Yaesu Hyper Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob_K

Feed Provider
Hi Everyone,

I've been doing a lot of reading over the last few hours regarding hyper memories. I understand the concept, I think I even understand how to program them on the radio.

I have a FT-8900 with about 250 memories programmed. I set 1 frequency on each side, stored it to Hyper Mem 1, changed one of the channels and stored to hyper mem 2. When I toggle between the 2 Hyper mems, my "default" memory is shown for each.

I also understand that if you want to use Hyper memories to break up what you scan, you enter all the channels in the memories and then "lock out" what you don't want to listen to when picking the corresponding hyper memory. I'm pretty sure I could figure out how to do this on the radio but I want to do it through the software.

I have the FT-8900 Programmer software and I downloaded a demo of the FTB8900 (v1.4.6) and I cannot seem to figure out how to "lock out" certain frequencies based on the hyper memory. I can see how to set the default memory for each hyper mem but I can't see to do much else. I even tried to set all 6 hyper memories to be the same, re-read the radio config and then manipulate. The software still doesn't show the memories in the Hypermemory.

I'm stumped here and I can't use the help on the FT-8900 because wonder Vista has removed the Windows Help executable. Fun is.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide while I try to learn this hobby. Pictures would even be helpful if anyone is using either piece of software =)

-Rob

KD8CES

Premium Subscriber
Hello, sounds like your not holding the button long enough.The hyper memories have to be done manually on the radio after downloading your program. each time you download you will have to reenter your hyper selections, the software does not allow for this. when making your selections you must hold the hyper button of your choice for several seconds until the freqs you chose show up again. It is very difficult to manipulate the channels that scan in each hyper number, you have the option of flagging a channel to "preferential scan" and scan those against "all" channels, or channels parked on a freq. Also, if you are cross band repeating, you can set up the two freqs that you will be cross banding on and tune the "set" menu to 44 then save the hyper memory, then that configuration will always be ready for you. crossband freqs,crossband start, in crossband mode.The software is much to be desired, just study the manual alittle more in depth throughout the memory sections and scan sections to understand the allowable options. the 8800 is easier to program hyper memories, due to the fact of "banks" being available on this model allows you to mix and match freqs to banks and scanning whichever bank you wish, the 7800 as well has this feature. hope this helped. jerry, scannerdweeb

khorton21

In the FTB8800 software, look at the SKIP boxes in the Hyper Memory tabs.

In the main tab, to the right are columns labeled Scn/Skip Hyper 1, etc.
Each one has a selection - Pref, Skip or Off.
If you set a block to Skip in Hyper 2, when you select Hyper Memory #2 and scan, that channel will be skipped. Thus you can set the skips differently for each Hyper Memory.

Of course, you then have to set the other side of the radio, or you can copy ones you particularly want to the other side, with the skip setups in place.

I have found it useful particularly for a few repeaters around that some use for long conversations. When they are taking up the scan a lot, I can set that to skip fairly quickly. Then when I push the Hyper Memory setup again, I'm back to scanning that channel.

Rob_K

Feed Provider
I was looking for info on the 8900. I believe they are different when it comes to programming?

In the FTB8800 software, look at the SKIP boxes in the Hyper Memory tabs.

In the main tab, to the right are columns labeled Scn/Skip Hyper 1, etc.
Each one has a selection - Pref, Skip or Off.
If you set a block to Skip in Hyper 2, when you select Hyper Memory #2 and scan, that channel will be skipped. Thus you can set the skips differently for each Hyper Memory.

Of course, you then have to set the other side of the radio, or you can copy ones you particularly want to the other side, with the skip setups in place.

I have found it useful particularly for a few repeaters around that some use for long conversations. When they are taking up the scan a lot, I can set that to skip fairly quickly. Then when I push the Hyper Memory setup again, I'm back to scanning that channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.