Yaesu FT 7800 indoors

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonziBuddy

I bought a Yaesu FT-7800 today. It did not come with a way to plug it into a receptacle. I'm using it indoors and not in a car. Is there an INEXPENSIVE way I can get this to work off house power?

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Yes. You need a 12volt power supply capable of changing 110volts ac to 13.8volts dc at least 10amps continuous.
There are probably people here on RR that may have one for sale. In a pinch you could use a car battery for a short period of time. Whatever you choose,make SURE the radio is fused properly!
N9ZAS

BonziBuddy

Yes. You need a 12volt power supply capable of changing 110volts ac to 13.8volts dc at least 10amps continuous.
There are probably people here on RR that may have one for sale. In a pinch you could use a car battery for a short period of time. Whatever you choose,make SURE the radio is fused properly!
N9ZAS
I have a car battery. How can I hook it up? it's not too much power?

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
The battery won't help you out after a number of hours. You'll have to recharge it frequently. A 15 AMP or greater power supply should run that radio with no sweat. I am using a 20 AMP to power my FT-7800 but that is because I had one already...

If you go to AES Home page or other ham radio retail sites, you'll see a wide variety of power supplys.

Chronic

Hmmmmm

Hooking up a Amateur radio and you dont know about a power supply , or how to hook it up to a battery ? Did you Get a amateur radio license ? The basics should of been covered in the study course....

BonziBuddy

Using a 12v car battery jumper instead of a direct battery. Works ok until the transformer comes.

BonziBuddy

One last question. If I'm programming frequencies into my scanner say on a table without a antenna plugged in, do I risk damaging it even if I'm not transmitting? It's too cold out to install it this weekend, so I'm just going to program the frequencies ahead of time. Again do I risk damaging the radio even without transmitting?

WouffHong

Ham?

Hooking up a Amateur radio and you dont know about a power supply , or how to hook it up to a battery ? Did you Get a amateur radio license ? The basics should of been covered in the study course....

Y'all took the proverbial "words right out of my mouth".. err.. Keyboard! :) :roll: :roll:

Hope that battery-jumper is not an AC-powered one! :wink:

Wouff

http://wouffhong.org

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Not a problem as long as you keep off the PTT.:D

One last question. If I'm programming frequencies into my scanner say on a table without a antenna plugged in, do I risk damaging it even if I'm not transmitting? It's too cold out to install it this weekend, so I'm just going to program the frequencies ahead of time. Again do I risk damaging the radio even without transmitting?

N1BHH

It is best to have an antenna outside, as one indoors will be absorbed by building materials. Do you have an air conditioner? That's a satisfactory place to locate a mag mount, at minimum. I have one that I have put my mag mounts on since I've lived here. Surprisingly good results for being only 10 feet high with my NMO-2/70B. ;)

Paulsan

I didn't know scanners could transmit.

Nubz

wondering myself about this

if i recall most of this is on the tech test

???

A deep cycle marine battery would allow for an extended period of time -- if you have one. If not, one would probably cost nearly as much an inexpensive power supply. Check out Astron power supply units...MFJ. I'm not sure if a motorcycle battery would handle the draw.

Programming a radio w/o an antenna attached. I have accidentally switched from my antenna coax to my duck in my truck w/o turning off the power, but I make every attempt not to. One accidental key, or bump, etc. and bye bye... Of course, if you were programming a scanner, it doesn't make any difference.

BonziBuddy

A deep cycle marine battery would allow for an extended period of time -- if you have one. If not, one would probably cost nearly as much an inexpensive power supply. Check out Astron power supply units...MFJ. I'm not sure if a motorcycle battery would handle the draw.

Programming a radio w/o an antenna attached. I have accidentally switched from my antenna coax to my duck in my truck w/o turning off the power, but I make every attempt not to. One accidental key, or bump, etc. and bye bye... Of course, if you were programming a scanner, it doesn't make any difference.
Been using an ATX PSU at 12.2v.
ATX to Lab Bench Power Supply Conversion

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

Bonzi,old boy please do read what you've just posted here,and think about what you just said?? Did you get your ham license out of one of those cute glass gum ball machines??:roll:
Or do you not have one ...yet?:(
N9ZAS

Nubz

why not just let this one die
its obvious hes not a ham nor would even know how to use the radio if he could somehow get it hooked up
has to ask how to use the radio inside the house yet claims to be able to understand what is in the link he posted
too funny

parting thought

Well, why not give him some benefit of latitude. Memorizing a test and understanding content are too different things. Temporary cramming to learn a test grade and putting it into practical application aren't always the same; some people do one but not the other. If he is indeed licensed as a ham...please somebody find him an Elmer so he can be one of the crew!

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.