Ft-840

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlGlNT

I have a question about buying a Yaesu FT-840. As far as I know, the only thing that is wrong is a bad speaker. It transmits fine and audio is good through a headset. The seller is asking $350. I'm not to familiar with HF gear so I'm asking you guys. Is this a fair price or should I keep looking?

RadioDaze

Reviews:
Yaesu FT-840 Product Reviews

Saw one on QRZ forum for 450 a week or so ago, and one for 425 a couple of months ago on our forums. So it could be a decent price, IMO.

If you have at least the requisite General license for HF, you probably already have the know-how to fix a bad speaker, unless it's more complicated than that. Does the external speaker jack work?

SlGlNT

Reviews:
Yaesu FT-840 Product Reviews

Saw one on QRZ forum for 450 a week or so ago, and one for 425 a couple of months ago on our forums. So it could be a decent price, IMO.

If you have at least the requisite General license for HF, you probably already have the know-how to fix a bad speaker, unless it's more complicated than that. Does the external speaker jack work?

The external speaker jack does work. I am only technician right now, but I plan to upgrade soon. I'm just waiting on the next test session. I don't think replacing the speaker will be that big of an issue. I just thought I would mention that it was bad. Thanks for replying.

N0IU

I used to own an 840 and it was a pretty decent radio. Even if the internal speaker did work, you would still be better off getting an external speaker. If it doesn't have one, you might also want to check into getting the FM unit for 10 meters.

Good luck,
73!

K2QI

The FT-840 was my first HF radio. It worked well for the most part, although its receiver did leave a lot to be desired. It's a no-frills rig, but with a good antenna will get you out on the bands once properly licensed. As for the speaker, it's an easy fix. Pull the top cover off and replace the speaker with one of a similar size and ohm rating. Resolder the connecter wires and attach the connector back to the RF board. Should take less than 10 minutes to fix if it's just a busted speaker and not a problem with the internal audio circuitry.

Status
Not open for further replies.